Orbital ATK Careers
Senior Principal Electro-Mechanical Controls Engineer
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Senior Principal Electro-Mechanical Controls Engineer for our San Jose, CA or Elkton, MD offices.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition and the market leader in medium caliber cannons.
The Missile Product division of Orbital ATK is seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Electrical Design Engineer. This position requires applying engineering techniques on developing advanced weapon systems of significant complexity and scope. This position requires experience in applying Electrical Engineering practices to the design of new and mature motion control systems. Candidates should have demonstrated capabilities in the following areas:
- Performs research, design, and development in such areas as power conditioning electronics, digital circuit design, and closed loop servo system controls as well as other general electrical engineering design functions.
- Applies research to the planning, design, development and testing of electrical circuits for use in military applications. Is able to develop design solutions to meet electrical performance requirements for military applications.
- Is capable of generating design schematics preferably with experience using CAD tools such as Mentor Graphics Dx Designer and Expedition. Can review and critique designs created by peers and/or junior engineers. Is proficient at recognizing the unique design requirements such as safety and reliability architectures associated with military applications.
- Compiles and analyzes test data to determine effect of design on electrical circuits for military applications. Is able to define development test plans and methods to ensure a robust design is achieved. Is familiar with unique test standards associated with military electronics such as MIL-STD-1540.
- Develops specifications for and performs selection of components including but not limited to FPGSs, DC-DC converters, motor drive modules for Brushless DC motors, and EMI filters for use in electronic controls for military applications. Utilizes electrical CAD tools such as Mentor System Vision and Pspice for circuit performance predictions in aid of circuit development.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability organize/prioritize job assignments and tasks. Is able to support programs by estimating hours to support and design various electrical and control system related projects.
- Strong background in electromechanical control system design and analysis.
- Experience in designing and testing electronic controls to meet EMC/EMI requirements of Mil-Std-461.
- Familiar with issues involved in using COTS electronic components and parts in military applications and associated up screening and derating analysis requirements
- Act as the technical interface to external customers, and form working relationships with representatives of external technical organizations
- Develop technical relationships with vendors and suppliers, in coordination with subcontracts management and quality functions, to facilitate technical flow-down and understanding of requirements, testing, and process control
- Presentation of assigned work at program technical reviews, proposals, or other technical meetings. Possess strong interpersonal skills to work effectively within a development team to understand system level interdependencies that impact circuit requirements and design constraints. Is proficient and delegating work to junior engineers and overseeing tasks for completeness and quality
- Is an active learner of new design techniques and technologies
- Stays current with industry trends in electrical components and methods
- Preferably an Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM)
Education and Experience:
- Requires a BS degree in Electrical, Robotic, or Controls Engineering from an accredited college with a minimum of 10 years professional experience; or 7 years professional experience with a related Master’s degree.
- Experience in the design, build, and validation of electrical components.
- Experience working in a cross functional environment (mechanical engineering, software engineering, systems engineering, production engineering, etc.) to translate customer requirements and functional block diagrams into realized circuits. Review and update electrical circuit requirements to meet system level performance objectives. Conduct trade studies and identify and present alternate design options.
- Proficiency in creating and modeling schematics. Preferably experience with Mentor Graphics design tools. Evaluate design robustness by simulation and lab testing. Able to evaluate and select components that meet the applicable requirements. Able to develop simulation plans and test plans for validating design meets circuit requirements. Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM) and applying these in the design process.
- Application of Xilinx and/or Microsemi FPGAs and the development of HDL code within the corresponding IDE is desired.
- Fundamental knowledge of Brushless motor theory, and LVDT/Resolver operation.
- Experience in the design of motor drive cables and control signal cables, as well as other electrical harnessing.
- Creating and understanding electrical schematics as well as troubleshooting electrical systems utilizing schematics.
- Experience in prototype and production circuit card design, preferred use of Mentor Graphics design tools.
- Experience with analog, digital, and associated power conditioning circuit design. Experience in leading technical activities in developing requirements, specifications, electrical architectures and closed loop servo controls for complex electro-mechanical systems (examples, motor resolvers, LVDT, cabling, solenoids, power switching, etc.).
- Strong analytical skills and the ability organize/prioritize job assignments and tasks.
- Experience and background in electro-mechanical systems control design using model based control law development using Matlab Simulink and related tools of Simscape and its various modules. This includes overall control system architecture design, including developing requirements for current, velocity and position loop update rates, and conducting FMECA at the system level.
- Prefer experience in developing high reliability electronics to meet military environments such as extreme temperature conditions, high G shock loads, vibration, and extended storage times.
- Experience with design review phases such as SRRs, PDRs, and CDRs including presenting review information to customers.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment. Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, rapidly changing, short turn-around environment.
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively to cross functional team members. Strong writing skills and proficient at documenting design and analysis reports as well as test reports.
- Position may require occasional travel to meet with various customers, in both government and industry, and to interface with suppliers.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and be able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our productsand your ideas into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do! We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years