Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Project Manager - Missile Defense Programs
Orbital ATK is currently seeking a Project Manager - Missile Defense Programs in our Upper Stages & Controls Program department in our Elkton, Maryland office.
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission - whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
The Orbital ATK Missile Defense and Controls (MD&C) facility in Elkton, Maryland began solid-propellant rocket operations in 1948. Today, the Elkton MD&C facility designs, develops, and produces solid-propellant propulsion and ordnance systems in programs professionally managed for a wide variety of Government and commercial customers. The facility also serves as the hub for offsite engineering and test facilities in Ronkonkoma, NY, Palm Beach Gardens, FL and San Jose, CA.
- Plan and execute all aspects of contracted program and has complete responsibility for successfully managing all technical, financial, contractual and schedule aspects of multiple programs. Has P&L responsibility for assigned programs. Works with customers to define requirements and is their primary contact on status and performance.
- Anticipates and fulfills customer needs to ensure their satisfaction and continued business.
- Captures new business and contributes to defining technical strategy for assigned product segment. Manages a variety of Bid and Proposal efforts. Participates in business strategy sessions.
- Leads a cross functional team of associates with a wide range of skill sets, ensuring roles and responsibilities of all team members are well understood and executed. Provide overall leadership to program team and drive execution excellence.
- Communicates program information internally and externally.
- Ensures program-wide focus on safety, reliability, cost and schedule, and adequacy of systems, procedures, and people for long term success.
- Bachelors' degree or equivalent in engineering, business, contracts, or related discipline.
- One to Four years of related work experience, direct project management preferred
- Basic competency in Project Management skills and toolsets. PMP® certification preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to manage a project team daily and communicate effectively with segment leadership regarding status, awareness’s, and escalations
- Ability to manage projects to specified milestones and established schedules
- Ability to resolve disputes and negotiate with positive outcome while maintaining good relationships within the organization, specifically between peers and management
- Strong formal and informal communication skills with all levels of internal and external management
- Ability to manage risk to reduce likelihood and severity of program impacts; ability to exploit opportunities to reduce costs and increase margins
- Defense industry and/or military acquisition experience desired
- Understanding and support of PES Initiatives is a plus
- Knowledge of pricing and proposals.
- Prefer ability to define technical strategy to promote capturing business in new areas.
- Able to travel less than 5%; travel if needed will be infrequent
- Competent in standard Microsoft Office Software Suite
Behavioral Competencies for Success:
- Priority Setting
- Timely Decision Making
- Execution Focus
- Action Oriented
- Team Focused
- Effective Communication
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products, and your ideas, into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do! We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years
Expertise: Continuous Improvement, EAC, Lean/Six Sigma, Manpower Forecasts, Engineering, Program Management, Project Management, Process Management, BOM, Business Analysis, Business Development, Security Clearance, Relationship Development, Communication Skills, Resource Management, Competitor Analysis, Contract Negotiation, Cross-functional Leadership, Strategic Planning, Top Secret Security Clearance, Customer Focus, EAC, Written/Verbal Communication, EVMS, ERP, FAR, Forecasting, Financial Analysis, Government Regulations, Influence, Marketing Strategy, Microsoft Office, People Management, Prioritization, Presentation Skills, Management