Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Project/Program Manager - Missile Defense Programs
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is currently seeking a Project Manager in our Upper Stages & Controls Program department in our Elkton, Maryland office.
The Northrop Grumman Missile Defense and Controls (MD&C) facility in Elkton, Maryland began solid-propellant rocket operations in 1948. Today, the Elkton MD&C facility designs, develops, and produces solid-propellant propulsion and ordnance systems in programs professionally managed for a wide variety of Government and commercial customers. The facility also serves as the hub for offsite engineering and test facilities in Ronkonkoma, NY, Palm Beach Gardens, FL and San Jose, CA.
- Plan and execute all aspects of contracted program and has complete responsibility for successfully managing all technical, financial, contractual and schedule aspects of multiple programs. Has P&L responsibility for assigned programs. Works with customers to define requirements and is their primary contact on status and performance.
- Anticipates and fulfills customer needs to ensure their satisfaction and continued business.
- Captures new business and contributes to defining technical strategy for assigned product segment. Manages a variety of Bid and Proposal efforts. Participates in business strategy sessions.
- Leads a cross functional team of associates with a wide range of skill sets, ensuring roles and responsibilities of all team members are well understood and executed. Provide overall leadership to program team and drive execution excellence.
- Communicates program information internally and externally.
- Ensures program-wide focus on safety, reliability, cost and schedule, and adequacy of systems, procedures, and people for long term success.
- Bachelors' degree or equivalent in engineering, business, contracts, or related discipline.
- One to Four years of related work experience, direct project management preferred
- Basic competency in Project Management skills and toolsets. PMP® certification preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to manage a project team daily and communicate effectively with segment leadership regarding status, awareness’s, and escalations
- Ability to manage projects to specified milestones and established schedules
- Ability to resolve disputes and negotiate with positive outcome while maintaining good relationships within the organization, specifically between peers and management
- Strong formal and informal communication skills with all levels of internal and external management
- Ability to manage risk to reduce likelihood and severity of program impacts; ability to exploit opportunities to reduce costs and increase margins
- Defense industry and/or military acquisition experience desired
- Understanding and support of PES Initiatives is a plus
- Knowledge of pricing and proposals.
- Prefer ability to define technical strategy to promote capturing business in new areas.
- Able to travel less than 5%; travel if needed will be infrequent
- Competent in standard Microsoft Office Software Suite
Behavioral Competencies for Success:
- Priority Setting
- Timely Decision Making
- Execution Focus
- Action Oriented
- Team Focused
- Effective Communication
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years
Expertise: Continuous Improvement, EAC, Lean/Six Sigma, Manpower Forecasts, Engineering, Program Management, Project Management, Process Management, BOM, Business Analysis, Business Development, Security Clearance, Relationship Development, Communication Skills, Resource Management, Competitor Analysis, Contract Negotiation, Cross-functional Leadership, Strategic Planning, Top Secret Security Clearance, Customer Focus, EAC, Written/Verbal Communication, EVMS, ERP, FAR, Forecasting, Financial Analysis, Government Regulations, Influence, Marketing Strategy, Microsoft Office, People Management, Prioritization, Presentation Skills, Management