Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Northrop Grumann - Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced Mechanical Engineer to provide assistance to our Defense team in our Plymouth, MN offices
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
This position provides mechanical engineering support for the fabrication of medium caliber ammunition. The person filling this position must understand typical manufacturing processes and have recently contributed in a production environment. This position requires adherence to ATK's Quality Management System, AS9100C and PES (Performance Enterprise System) principles.
Engineering support is needed in our Co-Production Factory in Saudi Arabia. International travel to this facility is a part of the job, typically 50%.
This position provides technical Mechanical Engineering support within the Medium Caliber Co-Production organization. Typical duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide on-site support at the facility in Saudi Arabia (requires approximately 50% travel).
- Assemble, maintain, Set-up, and de-bug manufacturing equipment for Medium Caliber Ammunition
- Create update and maintain appropriate documentation in Configuration Management system
- Plan and conduct equipment trials and commissioning to verify performance meets quality and rate standards
- Train customer technicians/operators on correct operation and maintenance of equipment
- Support the planning and preparation for production and customer acceptance
- Troubleshooting and resolution of complex manufacturing line process issues and machinery shutdowns
- Ensure and maintain efficient and effective manufacturing line operations
- Perform tooling and gage changes specific to Orbital ATK product lines
- Coordinate with Design and Project Engineering on design and/or manufacturability issues
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Technical understanding of mechanical mechanisms, manufacturing processes, metal coatings, heat treatments and standard assembly processes.
- Verify conformance of parts to customer and internal quality and safety requirements.
- Read, understand, and modify equipment/machinery and product drawings and specifications, in both production and testing environments.
- Communicate directly and indirectly with vendors and customers. Communicate issues and status effectively and frequently to co-workers and management.
- Generate and maintain lists of open issues and diligently track them to resolution.
- Perform failure analysis of physical and functional test results when results do not meet requirements.
- Assist in monitoring and verify subcontractor's compliance to prime contract requirements and specification.
- Ensure effective engineering and customer communications.
- Strictly adhere to all safety regulations, and maintain a culture of safety with fellow co-workers
- BS degree in Mechanical, Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering
- Two or more years of experience in manufacturing and production of mechanical components and/or systems.
- Product design verification, inspection and non-conformance handling protocols.
- Proficiency in working with multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Suite, including MS Project
- Must be able to obtain Security clearance, must be a US citizen.
Desired Experience: The ideal candidate will possess the following
- Working knowledge of pneumatic equipment, valves, and components, including air motors
- Familiarity with pneumatic schematics and pneumatic circuit logic
- Familiarity with conveyor systems
- Working knowledge of hydraulics, including pumps, cylinders, and the like
- Basic knowledge of electrical wiring
- Past experience in an environment containing energetic and/or explosive materials
- Past experience successfully working with highly diverse teams and with foreign cultures
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: 50-75%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years