Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
High Rate Machinist
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The High Rate Machinist is responsible for the operation of Manual and CNC machining equipment. The successful candidate must be available for shifts as assigned by supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Could include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Running production parts on Manual and CNC machining equipment.
- Collection and recording of SPC characteristics of manufactured parts on digital and manual measuring devices.
- Work with Supervision, Engineering and/or Mission Assurance personnel to improve safety, quality, and/or cost of manufacturing processes.
- Train other machinists and operators to safely, accurately and proficiently manufacture parts using manual and CNC equipment.
- Serve as resource for Engineering, Supervision, Mission Assurance and other machinists as required.
- Mount tooling according to the tool sheet or the program
- Indicate and align all tools
- Touch off tools on X,Z, and Y axis
- Produce first part and submit to inspection
- Make changes based on inspection results in order to get first piece acceptance
- Assure that all gages and necessary documentation are in the work area
- Note all tool and insert changes
- Basic knowledge of how to operate and navigate a computer.
- Operate any process in accordance with the procedures and set up sheets
- Support Research & Development efforts by collaborating with respective engineers
- High school diploma, or equivalent
- Minimum combination of (5) five years’ experience in operation and related education of manual and/or CNC controlled machining equipment.
Must have thorough understanding and be able to demonstrate proficiency in the following:
- Shop mathematics.
- Blue-print reading and understanding.
- Ability to read and take measurements using digital and manual inspection equipment.
Business Process Knowledge:
- Support management strategies and plans
- Promote safety and health.
- Understand the customer needs and expectations.
- Perform to the highest level of quality.
- Communicate effectively
Business Process Management:
Reference, support, and utilize appropriate BPMs. Provide improvement suggestions where needed. Responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining business processes in scope of responsibility.
Work is frequently checked for quality, accountable for final results to manager, supervisor, group/lead person, and project engineer(s).
Source of Work Direction:
Manager, supervisor, group/lead person, project engineer(s) as required.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: None
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years
Education: High School/GED