Orbital ATK Careers
High Rate Operator
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced High Rate Operator to work as part of our Missile Products team in our Rocket Center, West Virginia facility.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Scope of Work: Operate machines, maintain set ups, read shop operating drawings and procedures and change and maintain tooling. Load and unload material. Collect and measure data in accordance with predetermined standards. Experience using various measuring instruments, including, but not limited to Micrometers, Calipers, Gauges, Indicators, and other hand tools.
Duties: Could include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Operate Manual and/or CNC machining equipment
- Load and unload material from machine
- Machine and form material in accordance to work instructions, and other quality standards as specified
- Collect, measure and enter data in SPC system
- Change and maintain tooling with offsets
- Maintain documentation for tool life consideration and preventative maintenance needs
- Identify non-conforming material as scrap and follow appropriate defect plan
- Document quantity produced as directed by supervision
Responsibilities: Could include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Perform SPC data collection to specifications
- Understand and follow lot control and material identification procedures
- Start up and operate any job/equipment in the shop with reasonable training
- Operate 2 axis, 3 axis, or 4 axis, twin spindle lathes, screw machines, presses, mills and fully robotic lathes by following all procedures
- Follow proper gauging guidelines and be able to visually inspect product
- Perform change inserts, mount toolholders, adjust offsets and touch off tools
- Perform duties to close tolerance specifications
- Maintain all high quality specifications
- Basic knowledge of how to operate and navigate a computer
- Ability to understand machine functions and run process as designated by set-up personnel and/or supervision
- Support Research & Development efforts by collaborating with respective engineers
- High School Diploma or equiv.
- Excellent work conduct and attendance record.
- Work shifts and overtime as assigned.
- Two (2) years of experience operating Manual and/or CNC Metal Machining Equipment and successfully completed an approved machinist training program.
- Must have thorough understanding and be able to demonstrate such in the following:
- Ability to read blueprints
- Knowledge of instrumentation(s) for measuring
- Knowledge of decimal and metric system
- Ability to interpret quality and production procedures
- Knowledge of Statistical Process Control (SPC) use and practice
- Interpretation of tooling sheets
- Knowledge and understanding of machine function(s)
Business Process Knowledge:
- Support management strategies and plans
- Promote safety and health
- Understand business/production needs and expectations
- Perform to the highest level of quality
- Communicate effectively
Business Process Management:
Reference, support, and utilize appropriate BPMs. Provide improvement suggestions where needed. Responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining business processes in scope of responsibility.
Improve quality by continuously improving products and services for our customers. Our customers are not only those to whom we sell products but also the end user of any product or service we provide within the company.
Work is frequently checked for quality, accountable for final results to manager, supervisor, group/lead person, and project engineer(s).
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: None
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years
Education: High School/GED