Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Director of Engineering
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group (FSG) provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Director of Engineering to lead the Electrical Design Engineering organization at our Propulsion Systems Division (PSD). The position can be located at the Bacchus or Promontory, UT facility.
Role Description & Responsibilities:
The Director of Electrical Design Engineering reports directly to the Sr. Director of Science & Engineering and leads a team of approximately 50 engineers and technicians of diverse scientific and engineering disciplines and experience base. The department staff are located at the Utah Promontory and Bacchus facilities, and the position can be primarily located at either location. The organization provides cost effective design solutions for developmental and production programs for solid rocket vehicle components, test equipment, and static tests. The team includes
- Disciplines in Avionics, Electrical Harness, Flight Instrumentation, Electrical Analysis, Mechanical and Electrical Ground Support Equipment, Test Equipment, Static Test Integration, Thrust Vector Control System, and Explosive Ordnance
- Three Science and Engineering Fellows who support and oversee activities related to Electronics, Control Systems, TVC, and Ordnance as well as act as point of contact for creation of new technologies and systems in these areas
- Personnel who lead four Communities of Practice that are active at group and corporate levels
- Key interfaces for the department include Analysis, Manufacturing and Quality, Procurement, Suppliers, Tooling, Project offices, Test and Research Operations, Mechanical Design, Engineering Technology and Systems, and Range Safety.
- Participate in defining and implementing strategic direction for S&E
- Act as a change agent to encourage out-of-box thinking and positively influence the future of S&E and PSD
- Develop, communicate and implement vision, strategy, goals and metrics to achieve business objectives for safety, quality, customer satisfaction, schedule, cost, and continuous improvement
- Manage resources to support program schedules, balancing needs, priorities and cost, to deliver technically adequate products within cost and schedule constraints
- Implement and utilize effective knowledge management processes and tools to identify, capture, and daily utilize our collective wisdom, learning, and knowledge
- Ensure the atmosphere within the department as well as behavior of personnel support PSD’s Culture Initiative (Safety, Trust, Communication, Empowerment, Innovation, Collaboration, Enjoyment, Valued, Motivation, and Commitment)
- Ensure Design Engineering assumes leadership for hardware planned and unplanned design changes, and for technical resolution of hardware non-conformances and test anomalies/failures
- Represent and communicate department technical capabilities and technologies to internal and external customers
- Ensure that Design Engineering function is properly staffed, equipped and trained to meet current and future program requirements
- Ensure leadership and key subject matter expert succession plans are in place and be proactive by coaching and mentoring key talent to be able to assume increased responsibilities
- Utilize effective talent management strategies to attract, retain, develop and engage outstanding people for the organization
- Understand cross organization interactions and demonstrate organizational agility and political savvy when dealing with other organizations and the Executive Staff to develop team environments and eliminate roadblocks to enable organization to meet goals and objectives
Education and Experience Requirements:
- BS degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering is required; MS degree is preferred
- Candidate must have a minimum of 15 years of Science or Engineering experience
- Management: Candidate must have a minimum of 7 years of engineering leadership experience
- Candidate must have a minimum of 5 years working with suppliers
- Candidate must have at a minimum of 5 years working with hardware integration into a rocket stage or entire launch vehicle
- Requirements definition and verification
- Tailoring of government and customer requirements
- Interface with Range Safety for flight termination system/component design and verification
- Representing and presenting team produced work to government and customers
- Integration engineering skills
- Abilities to present and articulate complex designs to both internal and external customers
Skills & Qualifications:
- Understanding of the culture of large organizations and know how to get things done through formal and informal channels
- Demonstrated leadership in aerospace component, system, and integration design, analysis, and test, and requirements definition and verification
- Demonstrated history in working with material and component suppliers and major contractors
- Demonstrated history of using data and technical discipline to drive decisions/direction
- Capability to formulate and execute complex project plans and initiatives.
- Proven history of technical innovation in technology development.
- Conversant in anomaly investigation tools and processes
- Fluent n Risk assessment and Risk Management tools and processes
- Demonstrated ability to identify, attract, and retain skilled Engineering talent
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years