Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Principal Electrical Design Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Electrical Design Engineer to provide expertise and support to our Electronics team in our Promontory offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Sr. Principal Electrical Design Engineer is responsible to create, modify and support harness designs for flight and ground test cables. Production support, including discrepancy resolution will also be required. This engineer will also provide avionics system design and analysis assistance, as well as working with Systems and Project Engineers to support the verification of these designs to requirements.
- Produce avionics and harness design drawings and specifications
- Resolve effectively manufacturing related design issues
- Write test plans and oversee testing to demonstrate and/or qualify designs
- Drive the process of validating the design through the flight certification process
- Analyze, using industry standard tools, new or existing electrical system and component designs for requirement compliance in areas of electrical circuit design, analog signal conditioning, control systems and/or electromagnetic effects
- Compile and analyze test data, use the results to assess and improve product designs
- Develop or assist in developing specifications for selecting components and equipment to use
- Check completed layouts and drawings for clarity, completeness, conformity to standards, procedures, specifications, and accuracy of calculations and dimensioning
- Identify design errors, omissions, and other deficiencies, and recommend revisions and/or improvements in design layout to responsible engineers or designers.
- Provide, as needed, supplier oversight, testing oversight and assembly integration support
- Candidate must have a minimum of 10 years of Electrical, Instrumentation, Avionics, Controls and/or Electro-mechanical systems experience with BS degree (7 year with MS degree)
- Ability to travel: Travel expectation of 0% – 10%
- Experience working to conclusion harness design drawings and specifications
- Experience with harness manufacturing support including resolving manufacturing or design issues.
- Experience/knowledge working design verification and verification reporting
- Experience in electrical systems/electronics
- Integration engineering skills (i.e. ability to integrate ground system designs with flight hardware needs)
- Abilities to present and articulate complex designs to both internal and external customers
- Knowledge of Test design and execution
- Work experience in a government contracting environment
Skills & Qualifications:
- Broad understanding of electrical and electromechanical system design and integration.
- Strong knowledge of circuit design and analysis
- Strong skills in effectively learning and applying new concepts and tools
- Demonstrated ability to get work done in an environment of established systems and procedures
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Detail oriented but able to understand the big picture
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering with 10 years experience, MS with 7 years of experience, or PhD with 5 years of experience.
Position may be filled at a lower level (Principal Electrical Engineer)
- MS degree with 5 years experience, BS degree with 7 years experience, or PhD with 2 years of experience.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years