Orbital ATK Careers
Sr. Principal Mechanical Design Engineer
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Mechanical Design Engineer to provide leadership and talent to our Systems and Integration Design team in our Promontory, UT offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Sr. Principal Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for providing Integration Design Engineering over Rocket Motor Assembly, Igniter Design, Raceway Design, Thrust Vector Control Integration, and Mass Properties. The design engineer will also provide design engineering services on commercial rocket motor assembly projects, perform systems engineering tasks related to interface control on piece part designs, lead multi-discipline design teams, and perform peer reviews. Perform vehicle level integration tasks on pyro and range safety system, avionics integration, electrical cables and connectors, bonded attachments, and bolted designs.
- Prepare 3D NX models, mechanical & assembly drawings, and specifications in accordance with company standards.
- Support mechanical & integration design on Commercial and IR&D Projects.
- Prepare test & instrumentation drawings, test plans, reports, and perform tolerance analysis.
- Prepare trades studies and milestone review presentations.
- Prepare ICD, N2 Interaction matrices and Interface Summary Sheets.
- Prepare requirement specifications and provide verification reporting.
- Perform preliminary structural analysis
- Candidate must have a minimum of 10 years of engineering design experience with a BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Knowledgeable and demonstrated experience with NX modeling
- Systems engineering and integration experience
Skills & Qualifications:
- Solid modeling experience (NX is preferred)
- Broad understanding of ballistics and grain design
- Strong knowledge of loads and environment analysis
- Structural analysis experience
- Experience with manufacturing processes
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Drafting and drawing preparation skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Detail oriented but able to understand the big picture.
- BS/MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field required.
(PhD with 5 years-experience, MS degree with 7 years-experience,
or BS degree with 10 years-experience)
Position may be filled at a lower level (Principal Mechanical Design Engineer)
- MS degree in Mechanical Engineering with 5 years-experience, BS degree in Mechanical Engineering with 7 years-experience, or PhD with 2 years-experience
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years