Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Environmental Health & Safety Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an Environmental Health & Safety Engineer to join our Industrial Safety / Industrial Hygiene team in our Promontory, Utah offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
Performance of Safety Engineering functions associated with design, fabrication, and testing of materials/components used in the production of Aerospace hardware. At these facilities the selected individual will be involved in a wide array of energetic material manufacturing processes including laboratories, research and development, and functional testing.
- Promote and maintain a high level of safety consciousness among employees to instill a safety culture in the workforce
- Work with internal and external customers including NASA and others to ensure compliance to safety, health, and environmental federal, state, and local rules and regulations
- Perform worksite audits, inspections and evaluations on the operating floor
- Assist in design reviews for new and modified facilities, processes, equipment and tooling for safety-regulated compliance to help ensure the safety of the employees and the process
- Provide written reports and documentation to management with recommendations to proactively eliminate or reduce workplace hazards. Assist in implementation of actions given
- Provides guidance to operations, maintenance and manufacturing engineering groups on machine safety controls, guarding and safe operating procedures.
- Assist in accident/incident investigation to help determine root cause and corrective actions
- Assist in safety related training courses. This may be preparation of web based training, or performing instructor led training
- Perform monitoring for potential health hazards in the workplace including: Chemical, Particulate, Noise, Heat Stress, Ergonomic, etc. Perform Industrial Hygiene assessments for new chemicals (e.g., determine appropriate precautions and PPE requirements, etc.)
- Assist in authoring and classifying chemical Safety Data Sheets (SDS) to meet the requirements of the new OSHA Hazard Communication Standard, including elements of the Globally Harmonized System for Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS)
- BS in Industrial Safety, Industrial Hygiene or a technical field
- 4 years’ experience with a BS
- Technical Skills: Microsoft Office proficiency required (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Microsoft SharePoint is a plus
- Excellent mathematical, problem solving, written and verbal communications skills
- Experience in a Safety position within a manufacturing environment highly preferred
- Ability to work occasional night shift
- Must be a US Citizen or Person
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years
Expertise: Health and Safety