Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Ordnance Design Engineer
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group (FSG) provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Ordnance Design Engineer to support the Space Launch System (SLS) program at our FSG Propulsion Systems Division (PSD) Ordnance Systems and Thrust Vector Controls (TVC) Engineering Department in our Promontory office.
Role Description & Responsibilities:
Design engineer for ordnance devices and systems for the SLS Program including the following:
- Explosive Ordnance devices such as: Shaped Charges, Separation Bolts, Pressure Cartridges, Through Bulkhead Initiators (TBIs), Explosive Transfer Lines, Cartridge and Pressure Actuated Devices, Safe and Arm (S&As), and Motor Ignition devices
- Ordnance subsystems including motor ignition, stage separation, and flight termination
- Requirements definition, management, and verification
- Support integration efforts for rocket motor assembly, and activities at launch site
- Interface with program office teams and customers including compiling comprehensive presentations and presenting the details and issues as required
- Application of disciplined processes to problem resolution and failure investigations
- Peer review work to support other ordnance engineers
- Requirements definition and flow down to subcontractors and verify compliance accordingly, verification by inspection, analysis, demonstration or test
- Creation of component/assembly designs and coordination of final drawings
- Write specifications, test plans, test reports, and compliance documents
- Support hardware development, qualification and production hardware build and test support
- Subcontractor oversite including travel to subcontractor manufacturing and test facilities
- Design change and nonconformance review of subcontractor and internal documentation
- Support the engineering and manufacturing product cost and schedule constraints
- Support program IPTs, internal and external design reviews
- Support technical and schedule inputs for proposals
- Candidate must have 2-5 years of chemical, mechanical, or electro-mechanical engineering experience
- Candidate must have a minimum of 2 years working with suppliers and contractors
- Candidate with 2-5 years of experience in the ordnance field and be familiar with requirements from customers and Range Safety
- Experience working to conclusion design drawings, interface control drawings and specifications
- Experience/knowledge working design requirements definition, verification and verification reporting
- Experience working with customers and subcontractors
- Experience in development, qualification and lot acceptance testing efforts pertaining to ordnance devices
- Abilities to present and articulate complex designs to both internal and external customers (NASA and military)
Skills & Qualifications:
- Strong knowledge/skills in mechanical engineering; chemical and/or electro-mechanical a plus
- Experience with aerospace components, systems, and integration design, analysis, environment & functional test, requirements definition and verification
- 3-D modeling a plus
- Demonstrated ability to get work done in an environment of established systems and procedures
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- BS degree in engineering discipline is required
- MS degree in engineering discipline is a plus
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401K, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years