Orbital ATK Careers
Sr. Director of Engineering
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Director of Engineering to lead the Mechanical Design Engineering organization at our Propulsion Systems Division (PSD).
Role Description and Responsibilities
The Director of Design Engineering reports directly to the Sr. Director of Science & Engineering and will lead a team of approximately 80 engineers of diverse scientific and engineering disciplines and experience base. The position is located at the Utah Promontory facility but also has engineering responsibility and staff at the Utah Bacchus facility and includes significant interface with the Orbital ATK composite processing facilities in Clearfield, UT. The organization provides cost effective design solutions for developmental and production programs for solid rocket motor, stage and vehicle components and systems and related articles (e.g. decoy flares, and other specialty products). Design responsibility includes the following components: metal and composite pressurized cases; interstage, fairing, and skirt structures; internal and external insulation; complex joints and component interfaces; nozzles and flexbearings (gimbal joints); igniters; systems tunnels; attach and jettison hardware; cabling and instrumentation. Design Engineering also is home to a broad and deep Materials and Process group and a dedicated Concept Design and Flight Performance shop, both of which are integrated into the design process. Key interfaces with the Design group include Analysis, Manufacturing and Quality, Procurement, Tooling, Projects offices, Electrical Design, and Engineering Technology and Systems.
- Provide design solutions consistent with internal and external customer needs and requirements (performance, cost, schedule, producibility, reliability)
- Develop, communicate and implement vision, strategy, goals and metrics to achieve business objectives for safety, quality, customer satisfaction, schedule, cost, and continuous improvement.
- Maintain and grow design and analysis expertise, as well as ensure development of efficient methodologies, tools, standards, and design concept documentation processes.
- Represent and communicate design and analysis technical capabilities and technologies to internal and external customers. As requested, present at program technical reviews, proposal reviews, or other technical interchanges.
- Assure that Design Engineering assumes leadership for hardware planned and unplanned design changes, fully engaging and responding to combined DE/ME/QE team requirements and inputs; and actively participating in component changes that fall primarily under ME/QE accountability.
- Assure that Design Engineering function is properly staffed, equipped and trained to meet current and future program requirements.
- Ensure leadership and key subject matter expert succession plans are in place and be proactive by coaching and mentoring key talent to be able to assume increased responsibilities.
- Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with other technical PSD and sister groups and organizations including other disciplines in Science & Engineering, Program Management, Test and Research Operations, Tool Design, Process Engineering, and the ASD composites center.
- Utilize effective talent management strategies to attract, retain, develop and engage outstanding people for the organization.
- Monitor and implement employee development plans.
- Engage with functional design managers, groups, teams, and individuals to ensure that escalated roadblocks are removed, requirements and resources are defined and adequate, and that delivered products are correct and accurate.
- Implement and utilize effective knowledge management processes and tools to identify, capture, and daily utilize our collective wisdom, learning, and knowledge.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Seven or more years in a leadership position as well at least 15 years of related experience in a science and engineering role.
- BS/MS degree in Engineering or Technical discipline (MS degree preferred)
Knowledge and usage of statistical approaches and uncertainty quantification for design/analysis of complex systems
Skills & Qualifications:
- Demonstrated ability to lead a diverse group, establish clear expectations, inspire commitment, build teams, value diversity and put people first.
- Understand the culture of large organizations and know how to get things done through formal and informal channels.
- Communicate an inspired vision that motivates the entire organization. Demonstrated ability to empower and engage team members.
- Demonstrated history of using data and technical discipline to drive decisions/direction
- Capability to formulate and execute complex project plans and initiatives.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, writing, presentation and critical thinking skills.
- Clearly demonstrated commitment to open communication.
- Proven history of technical innovation in technology development.
- Conversant in anomaly investigation tools and processes
- Fluent in Risk assessment and Risk Management tools and processes
- Demonstrated ability to identify, attract, and retain skilled Engineering talent
- Ability to use internal personnel based tools and processes (e.g. Merits, Performance Reviews, Promotion Process, Development Plans, Objectives, etc.) to enhance ability of individuals and the organization to contribute to company success.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years