Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Senior Principal Nozzle Design Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systemss currently seeking an experienced Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer to provide expertise and support to our Nozzle Design team in our Promontory, Utah offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer is responsible for designing solid rocket motor nozzles for a variety of government and commercial programs. This individual will use their engineering knowledge and creativity to develop design solutions that meet technical, cost, and schedule requirements.
- Provide accurate, on-time drawings and specifications for next generation nozzle designs
- Conduct and lead trade studies
- Define, develop, and qualify design changes
- Provide technical guidance and direction to engineering teams in the design, test, and production phases of a project
- Lead/mentoring other engineers
- Develop and present materials for project related briefings including design reviews to be given to internal and external customers
- Perform anomaly resolution and conduct special studies
- Participate in postfire evaluations of nozzle hardware
- Interact with development teams (including specialists in Manufacturing, Quality, Safety, Thermal, Structural, Materials, and Test) to certify creative design solutions that meet all requirements (technical, cost, schedule)
- Minimum Experience: 10 years with BS degree or 7 years with MS degree. Lower level may be filled with 7 years with BS degree or 5 years with MS degree (Principal Mechanical Engineer).
- Ability to travel: Travel expectation of 0% – 5%
- NX modeling and drawing experience
- Understanding of manufacturing and inspection processes
- Design experience with bolted joints, metallic and composite structures, and bonded assemblies
- Tolerance analysis
- Strong skills in 3D modeling, mechanical drawings, and GD&T
- Experience mentoring and teaching other engineers
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Detail oriented but able to understand the big picture
- Previous nozzle design, rocket motor design, or aerospace design experience
Skills & Qualifications:
- Broad understanding of mechanical design, structural and material behavior, and heat transfer
- B.S. degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with 10 years experience, MS with 7 years of experience, or PhD with 5 years of experience.
Position may be filled at a lower level (Principal Manufacturing Engineer)
- MS degree with 5 years experience, BS degree with 7 years experience, or PhD with 2 years of experience.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years