Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Principal Systems Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Systems Engineer to assist in leadership to our SLS Structures team in our Promontory, Utah offices.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Working under the direction of the Structures Chief Engineer, the Structures PE position provides overall technical logic, plan definition, management, and execution assurance via technical and project managerial enabling support; in particular, development of project objectives, proposals and plans, definition of phases and elements of work, CR/CN generation, performance tracking and execution assurance management are fundamental. The current phase of effort covers the transition from engineering design to implementation and build with associated production planning, procurement, and MRB support. Position requires knowledge of heritage Space Shuttle Booster hardware, technical expertise to support certification logic and justification, and ability to rapidly organize resources to address all aspects of structural integrity and performance to SLS Booster requirements.
- SLS Booster Major Structures ownership – Nose cap, Frustum, Ordnance Ring, Forward Skirt, Aft Skirt and Core Stage Attach. Interfaces with RSRMV motor and secondary booster structures.
- Ownership of Structures drawings, specifications, MRB, LCC, OMR, etc.
- Technical leadership of the Structures Integrated Products Team including weekly team meetings, minutes, etc
- Engineering focal point for SLS Program Management, NASA Structures EDLE and NASA IPT
- Responsible for all Structures Engineering discipline planning, interface and coordination
- Responsible for major structures engineering including PRR, MRB, Integration, FRRs & processes
- Responsible for Structures SE&I products, and Loads and Environments implementation
- Represent Structures team in CCB, ERB/ECB, Tech telecoms, MRB, SMRBs, etc
- Responsible for Structures technical issue resolution
- Minimum of 10 years of related Structural Design, analysis, and project engineering experiences.
- Experience in design, analysis, loads, integration, hardware fabrication and modifications.
- Knowledge, use and application of engineering and processing documentation (i.e., drawings, specifications, table tops, parts lists, change requests, change notices, planning, mrb)
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Integration risk assessment skills (i.e., ability to balance between technical risk and cost)
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in using Microsoft Office Applications including project
- Proficient writing skills (grammar/punctuation/spelling)
- Responsible Design Engineering for structural products
- Responsible Structural Analysis experiences
- Experience with IMS and ETM
- Familiarity with Northrop Grumman's NASA Projects CM, PCR, and board approval processes.
- Demonstrated Leadership and organizational skill experiences
Skills & Qualifications:
- Ability to work independently and make logical decisions
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with ability to prioritize work and schedule
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to coordinate and work well with management, coworkers, and internal customers
- Strong problem solving skills
- Attention to detail but able to understand big picture
- Willingness to accept challenging work with positive attitude
- Flexibility to accept, learn and perform new job functions
- Committed to continuous improvement
- Ability to travel on an occasional basis
- BS degree in Engineering or related field required. Consideration will be given to candidates with a BS degree in other engineering disciplines with strong relevant experience (MS degree with 7 years experience, BS degree with 10 years experience, or PhD with 5 years experience)
- A graduate degree in Mechanical/Civil Engineering is highly preferred
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years