Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group (FSG) provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Science and Engineering (S&E) Manager to provide leadership to our FSG Propulsion Systems Division Ordnance Systems and Thrust Vector Controls (TVC) Engineering Department in our Bacchus and Promontory, UT offices.
Role Description & Responsibilities:
* Manage a multi-discipline team of approximately 10 design engineers (DEs)
o Disciplines in Thrust Vector Control Systems and Explosive Ordnance
o DEs responsibilities include: requirements definition and flow down to subcontractors, development, qualification and production hardware build and test support, subcontractor oversight, requirements verification, rocket motor assembly and static test support, launch site activity support and interfacing with program office teams and customers
* Act as a change agent to encourage out-of-box thinking and positively influence the future of S&E
* Champion company values, especially safety and ethics
* Support knowledge transfer efforts for early career engineers
* Lead culture change by demonstrating and communicating values in Culture Initiative
* Establish and sustain an approach to acknowledging and rewarding employees
* Manage resources to support program schedules, balancing needs, priorities, and cost to deliver technically adequate products within budget and schedule constraints
* Define and manage direct and indirect scope definitions and budgets – Indirect and Direct, IR&D, Capital, Earned Value Management System (EVMS)
* Define and implement disciplined processes for problem resolution
* Develop personnel to become future technical or managerial leaders
* Ensure personnel embrace and execute proper ownership of their products
* Act as the face of the department before S&E Senior Director and PSD Executive Staff
* Understand cross organization interactions and demonstrate organizational agility and political savvy when dealing with other organizations and the Executive Staff to develop team environments and eliminate roadblocks to enable organization to meet goals and schedules
* Ensure all engineering and manufacturing products are delivered within cost and schedule constraints
* Oversee and approve technical, cost, and schedule inputs for proposals
* Manage and allocate engineering resources to multiple programs with various customers
* Oversee proposal, contract, IR&D, and indirect activities
* Advocate technical excellence internally and externally to sustain technical credibility
* Motivate groups and individuals to achieve organizational goals
* Ensure personnel and facility safety through regular communications and audits
* Delegate tasks down to appropriate levels to encourage personnel growth
* Maintain cognizance of overtime and effective spread of scope between personnel and departments
* Utilize effective talent management strategies to attract, retain, develop and engage outstanding people for the organization
* Represent and communicate group capabilities and performance to internal and external customers
* Ensure career development plans for employees are in place and routinely reviewed for updates
* Manage performance appraisals and salary compensation planning and execution
* Ensure the atmosphere within the department as well as behavior of personnel support PSD’s Culture Initiative (Safety, Trust, Communication, Empowerment, Innovation, Collaboration, Enjoyment, Valued, Motivation, and Commitment)
* Candidate must have a minimum of 10 years of Mechanical/Electrical Engineering experience.
* Management: Candidate must have a minimum of 5 years of leading engineering teams, or other engineering supervisory/management experience
* Candidate must have working knowledge of some or all of the following – electronic and mechanical devices, controls, energetics, test equipment, testing, and actuators
* Candidate must have a minimum of 5 years working with suppliers and major contractors
* A minimum of 10 years’ experience working with hardware integration into a rocket stage or entire launch vehicle is preferred
* Experience working to conclusion design drawings, interface control drawings and specifications
* Experience/knowledge working design verification and verification reporting
* Experience working with Program customers, providing BOEs and executing defined work to meet Program milestones
* Experience representing and presenting team produced work to government customers
* Integration engineering skills
* Abilities to present and articulate complex designs to both internal and external customers
Skills & Qualifications:
* Strong knowledge/skills in Electrical and/or Mechanical Engineering with working ability in the lesser of the two
* Demonstrated leadership in aerospace component, system, and integration design, analysis, and test, and requirements definition and verification
* Demonstrated history in working with material and component suppliers and major contractors
* Demonstrated ability to lead a diverse group, establish clear expectations, inspire commitment, build teams, value diversity and put people first
* Demonstrated ability to get work done in an environment of established systems and procedures
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Excellent time management and organizational skills
* BS degree in Engineering discipline is required
* MS or PhD degree in Engineering discipline is preferred
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401K, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years