Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer to provide expertise and support to our Nozzle Design team in our Promontory, Utah offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer is responsible for designing solid rocket motor nozzles for a variety of government and commercial programs. This individual will use their engineering knowledge and creativity to develop design solutions that meet technical, cost, and schedule requirements.
- Provide accurate, on-time drawings and specifications for next generation nozzle designs
- Conduct and lead trade studies
- Define, develop, and qualify design changes
- Provide technical guidance and direction to engineering teams in the design, test, and production phases of a project
- Lead/mentoring other engineers
- Develop and present materials for project related briefings including design reviews to be given to internal and external customers
- Perform anomaly resolution and conduct special studies
- Participate in postfire evaluations of nozzle hardware
- Interact with development teams (including specialists in Manufacturing, Quality, Safety, Thermal, Structural, Materials, and Test) to certify creative design solutions that meet all requirements (technical, cost, schedule)
- Minimum Experience: 10 years with BS degree or 7 years with MS degree. Lower level may be filled with 7 years with BS degree or 5 years with MS degree (Principal Mechanical Engineer).
- Ability to travel: Travel expectation of 0% – 5%
- NX modeling and drawing experience
- Understanding of manufacturing and inspection processes
- Design experience with bolted joints, metallic and composite structures, and bonded assemblies
- Tolerance analysis
- Strong skills in 3D modeling, mechanical drawings, and GD&T
- Experience mentoring and teaching other engineers
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Detail oriented but able to understand the big picture
- Previous nozzle design, rocket motor design, or aerospace design experience
Skills & Qualifications:
- Broad understanding of mechanical design, structural and material behavior, and heat transfer
- B.S. degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with 10 years experience, MS with 7 years of experience, or PhD with 5 years of experience.
Position may be filled at a lower level (Principal Manufacturing Engineer)
- MS degree with 5 years experience, BS degree with 7 years experience, or PhD with 2 years of experience.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years