Orbital ATK Careers
Sr. Systems Engineer
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Systems Engineer to be an integral part of our Systems Engineering team in our Promontory, Utah offices.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for development of requirements, verification planning and change integration for our major systems. The Systems Engineer will be responsible for developing new systems and system upgrades by managing requirements and integrated changes in a disciplined, broad reaching process, to ensure our propulsion systems perform to specification and satisfy every customer need.
- Analyze the needs of the system and translate into verifiable performance and design requirements solid rocket propulsion systems
- Evaluate all customer requirements and flow down in specifications and determine implementation approach into designs and manufacturing
- Assess verification (test, analysis, inspection) for all requirements
- Use a requirements management database to document requirements applicable to the system
- Evaluate results of verification processes and validate results against system requirements
- Evaluate and integrate customer directed changes into the system and facilitate implementation of changes within a change management system
- Coordinate and communicate with all stakeholders, including customers, all things related to requirements, implementation of requirements and verification, and resolution of problems and issues
- Support and participate in design and system trades
Experience Requirements: A qualified candidate for this position should have some experience relevant to this position, including:
- Minimum of 4 years of experience working in an engineering discipline area such as Mechanical or Aerospace or a field related to Systems Engineering, preferably in a government contractor environment
- Demonstrated experience in many aspects of aerospace or propulsion design development processes including design, analysis, testing and integration
Experience Preferred: A candidate qualified for this position should have some level of experience in:
- Assembling plans and detailed schedules to accomplish an engineering effort
- Product testing or validation testing, preferably system level tests demonstrating interaction between subsystems or major elements
- Participation in developing formal interfaces between parts of a system
- Familiarity of requirement sets and system architectural approach necessary for spaceflight systems (ordnance, high reliability electronics, thrust vector control, flight safety systems)
- Exposure and familiarity to a requirements management database tool or other systems engineering tool is required
- Training and experience with Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)
Skills & Qualifications: A candidate qualified for this position should have the following demonstrated skills and experience:
Understanding of requirements and basic principles of verification approach
Ability and skills to work multidisciplined engineering problems
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Excellent time management and organizational skills
Desire to learn about new things, constantly improving engineering skills
- BS degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Physics or Engineering Management is required. Consideration will be given to candidates with a BS or MS degree in other engineering disciplines with strong relevant experience
- A graduate certificate in Systems Engineering is highly preferred
- BS/MS degree required with 4 years experience, or MS degree with 2 years experience
Position may be filled at a lower level (Mechanical Engineer)
- BS Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Physics or Engineering Management with 2 years’ experience or a MS degree with 0 years’ experience
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years