Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Electrical Engineer
Northrop Grumman - Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced Senior Electrical Design Engineer for our Mesa, AZ offices.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
This position requires applying engineering techniques on developing advanced weapon systems of significant complexity and scope. This position requires experience in applying Electrical Engineering practices to the design of new and mature medium caliber weapon systems. Candidates should have demonstrated capabilities in the following areas:
- Performs research, design, and development in such areas as power conditioning electronics, digital circuit design, and closed loop servo system controls as well as other general electrical engineering design functions.
- Applies research to the planning, design, development and testing of electrical circuits for use in military applications. Is able to develop design solutions to meet electrical performance requirements for military applications.
- Is capable of generating design schematics preferably with experience using CAD tools such as NX, including NX wire routing. Can review and critique designs created by peers and/or junior engineers. Is proficient at recognizing the unique design requirements such as safety and reliability architectures associated with military applications.
- Compiles and analyzes test data to determine effect of design on electrical circuits for military applications. Is able to define development test plans and methods to ensure a robust design is achieved. Is familiar with unique test requirements associated with military electronics such as extreme temperature testing.
- Develops specifications for and performs selection of components including but not limited to micro-controllers, DC-DC converters, motor drive modules for Brushed and Brushless DC motors, and EMI filters for use in electronic controls for military applications. Utilizes electrical CAD tools such as Mentor System Vision for circuit performance prediction in aid of circuit development.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability organize/prioritize job assignments and tasks. Is able to support programs by estimating hours to support and design various electrical and control system related projects.
- Strong background in electromechanical control system design and analysis.
- Experience in designing and testing electronic controls to meet EMC/EMI requirements of Mil-Std-461.
- Familiar with issues involved in using COTS electronic components and parts in military applications and associated upscreening and derating analysis requirements.
- Act as the technical interface to external customers, and form working relationships with representatives of external technical organizations
- Develop technical relationships with vendors and suppliers, in coordination with subcontracts management and quality functions, to facilitate technical flow-down and understanding of requirements, testing, and process control
- Presentation of assigned work at program technical reviews, proposals, or other technical meetings. Possess strong interpersonal skills to work effectively within a development team to understand system level interdependencies that impact circuit requirements and design constraints. Is proficient and delegating work to junior engineers and overseeing tasks for completeness and quality.
- Is an active learner of new design techniques and technologies. Stays current with industry trends in electrical components and methods.
- Preferably an Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM).
Education and Experience:
Requires a BS degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college with a minimum of 5 years professional experience; or 3 years professional experience with a related Masters degree. Experience in the design, build, and validation of electrical components.
- Experience working in a cross functional environment (mechanical engineering, software engineering, systems engineering, production engineering, etc.) to translate customer requirements and functional block diagrams into realized circuits. Review and update electrical circuit requirements to meet system level performance objectives. Conduct trade studies and identify and present alternate design options.
- Proficiency in creating and modeling schematics. Preferably experience with NX design tools. Evaluate design robustness by simulation and lab testing. Able to evaluate and select components that meet the applicable requirements. Able to develop simulation plans and test plans for validating design meets circuit requirements. Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM) and applying these in the design process.
- Fundamental knowledge of Brushed and Brushless motor theory and DC electric solenoid operation.
- Experience in the design of motor drive cables and control signal cables, as well as other electrical harnessing.
- Creating and understanding electrical schematics as well as troubleshooting electrical systems utilizing schematics.
- Experience in prototype and production circuit card design, preferred use of Autodesk EAGLE to create and update current PCB files.
- Experience with analog, digital, and associated power conditioning circuit design. Experience in leading technical activities in developing requirements, specifications, electrical architectures and closed loop servo controls for complex electro-mechanical systems (examples, motor resolvers, micro-switches, cabling, solenoids, power switching, etc.).
- Strong analytical skills and the ability organize/prioritize job assignments and tasks.
- Experience and background in electro-mechanical systems control design using model based control law development using Matlab Simulink, Mentor Graphics, and related tools of Simscape and its various modules. This includes overall control system architecture design, including developing requirements for current, velocity and position loop update rates, and conducting FMECA at the system level.
- Prefer experience in developing high reliability electronics to meet military environments such as extreme temperature conditions, high G shock loads, vibration, and extended storage times.
- Experience with design review phases such as SRRs, PDRs, and CDRs including presenting review information to customers.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment. Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, rapidly changing, short turn-around environment.
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively to cross functional team members. Strong writing skills and proficient at documenting design and analysis reports as well as test reports.
- Position may require occasional travel to meet with various customers, in both government and industry, and to interface with suppliers.
- U.S. Citizen and be able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years