Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Principal Software Engineer
Northrop Grumman - Innovation Systems has an exciting opening for a talented Principal Software Engineer within the Armament Systems Division based in Mesa, AZ.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
The development of innovative and intelligent armament systems, designed to protect and enable our armed forces, is accelerating. This has increased the need for engineers who have a passion for technology development, paired with demonstrated expertise in process excellence. These engineers will drive to continually outperform the competition and exceed customer expectations while acting with integrity, loyalty, and respect.
The Software Engineer is an integral part of our product development team. Involvement begins at system requirement definition and continues through system verification and test.
- Develop real time embedded C/C++ code for Microchip, Atmel, or TI microprocessor/DSP.
- Generate and unit test code using IAR Integrated Development Environment, Code Composer or equivalent on a custom breadboard in a lab setting. Integrate multiple software items into a reliable working system.
- Contribute and Lead to the creation of clear and professional documentation such as development plans, requirements specifications, design descriptions, test descriptions, and version descriptions per DoD standards.
- Follow CMMI compliant software processes.
- Develop, build, validate and run system computer simulation models representing the physical behavior of various gun systems.
- Bachelor’s degree of Science in Software Engineering, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with BS degree or MS degree
- Advanced experience in product development projects and sustainment of legacy programs for complex aerospace or defense systems
- Experience working with embedded real time software systems in close coordination with Electrical Engineering.
- Familiarity with mechanical design with complex gear trains, cams, springs, clutches, machined components, welded structures, electric motors and solenoids preferred.
- Comfortable in a lab environment working with tools such as function generators and oscilloscopes
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to work independently and organize/prioritize job assignments and tasks
- Experience writing statements of work and estimating project scope
- Effective interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, as well as the ability to present data and information to large audiences.
- Proficient use of personal computers using the Microsoft Office suite of products
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, rapidly changing, short turn-around environment
- Must be a U.S. citizen and qualify for a U.S. Government security clearance
- This position requires an individual who can multi-task, with effective time-management and communication skills.
- This position requires excellent communication, writing, and presentation skills.
- Experience with system modeling and simulation.Experience with The Mathworks toolset Matlab/Simulink, Embedded Coder, and Verification/Validation.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years