Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Mission Operations Development Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Provide mission operations support to NGIS Mission Extension Vehicle (MEV) program. Work with systems engineers to develop operational documentation for use during on-orbit checkout and commissioning of MEV satellites. Create executable scripts and associated procedures. Conduct testing using simulators and resolve discrepancies. Support system development activities such as requirements management, architecture development, integration and test and formal program milestones. Interface with program and customer personnel.
Act as Flight Controller during mission rehearsals and on orbit check out. Demonstrate an understanding of geosynchronous spacecraft systems and space vehicle operations. Monitor vehicle state of health across all subsystems. Perform short and long-term telemetry trending. Tracs space vehicle configuration, to include both hardware, software, and configurable item parameters. Make modifications to existing operations procedures to incorporate lessons learned from in-flight performance. Develop new procedures as required. Verify spacecraft commands before they are sent to the vehicle. Occasional shift work required.
- Planning & execution of real-time spacecraft commissioning activities for commercial, NASA and/or DoD space missions
- Hands on experience commanding satellites and/or developing real-time executable mission plans
- Basic understanding of space system components and spacecraft subsystems
- Familiarity with Mission Operations Centers architectures and interfaces
- Familiarity with space system operational documentation
- Development and testing of real-time executable mission operations procedures and executable scripts
- Performing data flow testing including ground stations & Mission Operations Centers
- Space system simulator and test bed operations
- Space system engineering activities such as requirements management, I&T, architecture, software development of flight/ground software
- Familiarity with Rendezvous and Proximity Operations (RPO) and/or Space Mission Planning
- Ability to obtain government security clearance is a plus
Requires BS in Engineering & 2 years or Masters Degree in Engineering.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years