Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Structural Design and Analysis Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is currently seeking a Structural Design and Analysis Engineer to join our team in our Dayton, OH offices.
Role Description & Responsibilities:
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated mechanical design and analysis engineer with experience designing and analyzing structures and assemblies for military aircraft. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the structural/thermal design and analysis of electronics packaging for antennas, apertures and arrays, as well as composite/metallic structures. Skills should include 3D CAD modeling to establish finite element models (FEM) based on provided requirements, performing finite element analysis and optimizing designs to ensure performance requirements are satisfied.
- 10 years of experience in Engineering with a minimum of 6 years related experience in the design & analysis engineering function with emphasis on thermal analysis
- Ability to obtain an Department of Defense security clearance
- Experience in using finite element analytical tools, such as Ansys or Abaqus, to perform modal, linear, non-linear static, dynamic analyses in the design and development of aircraft structures
- Thermo-mechanical analysis and heat management using ANSYS Fluent, Hero, ITRAC, FEM Builder, Chemics at a minimum
- Author structural analysis reports
- Organize, write, and present technical briefings in support of design reviews (PDRs and CDRs)
- Assembly level design including establishment of data schemes and tolerance analysis
- Knowledge of composite materials and manufacturing processes
- Ability to work in a fast paced dynamic environment as part of a multi-disciplined team
- Experience with Siemens NX or Catia V5 for component and assembly design
- Experience with ANSYS Fluent for thermo-mechanical analysis for component and assembly design
- Knowledgeable in GD&T
- Previous experience in aerospace manufacturing facility
Skills & Qualifications:
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills
- Ability to make sound decisions
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- BS or higher degree in Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering, or related and experience levels indicated in posting
- Role can be filled at a lower level of 14S
- Advanced degrees beyond BS in related filed can substitute for 2 years of work experience for each degree obtained (i.e. an MS degree with 8 years of related experience will substitute for a BS plus 10 years)
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
For more information:
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years