Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr Princ Material Science Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Orbital ATK is currently recruiting a Staff-Level Materials Scientist specializing in Ceramics Engineering at our Dayton, OH location.
The successful candidate will apply his/her composite and ceramic-material engineering expertise to develop and manufacture composite and ceramic parts, including ceramic matrix composites, for various high-temperature aerospace and defense applications.
- Apply scientific principles and expertise in ceramic material synthesis, powder processing, dispersion technology, inorganic formulation and chemistry, fabrication processes, and materials characterization to develop and mature ceramic materials in various high-temperature applications for aerospace and defense.
- Represent the Materials & Process team by applying his/her expertise in materials science, chemistry, and physics to assist the Dayton site solve issues in manufacturing, materials characterization, polymers and adhesives, rheology and cure dynamics, mechanical-structural testing, and more.
- Develop, author, and lead composite/ceramic research/qualification test plans, proposals, reports, and presentations.
- Lead process development, review requirements, and/or generate proper selection of materials and processes to enable successful attainment of design objectives.
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities to interject viable engineering solutions to improve the performance and efficiency of existing methods, processes, and/or products.
- Author, assist, and/or maintain material specifications and process standards.
- Apply astute judgment in interfacing with supplier/contractor on technical issues involving raw materials and components, review of material or part manufacturing plans, parts fabrication and processing, and/or material characterization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Ceramics Engineering, Chemistry, Material Science, Materials Engineering, or related field plus a minimum of 10-15 years of industrial experience. Preference given to candidates with a Master’s Degree or Ph.D.
- Candidate must be a U.S. citizen, and have the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret clearance.
- Working knowledge of ceramic material dispersion, formulation, grinding, forming methods, and materials characterization, including test methods and standards, for advanced high-temperature applications.
- Strong aptitude in project management with ability to author comprehensive test plans, coordination of internal and external resources, strongly self-motivated with tactful ability to lead progress, judicious documentation and analysis of data/results, and communicational excellence in creating technical presentations and reports to senior management.
- Experience in Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Project, Visio).
- Ph.D. or Master’s Degree in Chemistry, Material Science, Ceramics Engineering or related field plus a minimum of 8-10 years of industrial experience.
- Statistical analysis (Minitab, JMP, & Design of Experiments experience).
- Formal problem analysis methodology experience (Fishbone Diagram, FMEA, PFMEA, Process Flow Diagram, QFD).
Competencies for Success:
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Possesses tactful interpersonal skills with the ability to interface within an organization at all levels.
- Proven ability to author qualification/test plans, to properly document work, and to create final reports and presentations by assigned deadlines.
- Possesses strong aptitude and willingness to learn and adapt both professionally and interpersonally.
- Proven ability to work both independently as well as in team environment.
- Proven ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced, diverse environment.
- Possesses strong initiative, self-starter, adaptable, and high motivation for excellence.
- Possesses high energy, is results oriented, self-motivated/self-reliant, and is a team player.
- Possesses an understanding of Emotional Intelligence (EI) and using it to guide decision-making.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
Specific training and/or experience in the principles of chemistry, physics, or any of the specific domains of material science or materials engineering. Preferred degrees are in the fields of chemistry, chemical engineering, material science and material science engineering.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Clink on the link for more information:
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years