Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. NDI Engineering Technician
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Our Inspection Systems Development Group is recruiting a Senior NDI Engineering Technician. The Inspection Systems Development Group is responsible for the development of NDT inspection technologies as well as design and construction of production inspection systems that include:
- Ultrasonic and ultrasonic phased array inspections of composite structures for delamination, voids, porosity, and inclusions;
- Machine vision inspection for foreign object debris (FOD) and flaws in composite manufacturing;
- The development and implementation of novel composite inspection solutions that incorporate ultrasonics, sensors, thermography, shearography, eddy current and other NDT technologies
The person filling this role will support a variety of activities including:
- Work with NDI Development & Production personnel to develop & implement non-destructive inspection techniques, including training of production personnel
- Assist with the design, fabrication & qualification of defect standards
- Write technique sheets, procedures, and reports, as required
- Assist with training & certification of NDT personnel
- Perform inspections of various composite structures in support of development, production startup, MRB, or other activities, as required
- Assist with instrument & system calibrations
Education & Experience:
- Level 2 or 3 certification per NAS410 in Ultrasonics (certification will be verified).
- A minimum of 8 years of Ultrasonic Level 2 inspection experience in an aerospace or manufacturing environment.
- Experience running automated ultrasonic inspection systems highly desired.
- Must be familiar with instruments, systems, and software used for ultrasonic inspection of composites using manual or automated pulse echo, through transmission, pitch-catch, or phased array techniques
- Must be capable of setting up and performing inspections, and interpreting results using available equipment & software, given general guidelines and requirements with a limited amount of supervision
- Must have a general knowledge of other NDT methods as well as product manufacturing and inspection processes used by Northrop Grumman.
- Must be able to interpret codes, standards, and other contractual documents that control NDT method(s)
- Must be capable of selecting the method and technique for a specific inspection
- Must be capable of preparing and verifying the adequacy of procedures, work instructions, reports & presentations
- Must be capable of training NDT personnel and supporting the examination and certification of personnel
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a team
- Excellent communication skills are required
- Ability to make sound decisions
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- Active DoD Secret Clearance highly preferred with background investigation within five years
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
For more information:
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years
Education: High School/GED