Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Design and Characterization of Electromagnetic Structures Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
This position requires a highly motivated individual able to work with little to no engineering oversight. Key roles include individual and team focused research, design, analysis, prototyping, test validation, and manufacturing support in the field of electromagnetic structures / materials. Applicants must demonstrate prior working experience with complex electromagnetic materials, typical of Low Observable aerospace structures / Radar Cross Section (RCS) reduction techniques. Examples include loaded honeycomb core and/or similar core geometries, loaded foams, loaded elastomers, MAGRAM, R-Cards, Circuit Analog sheets / absorbers, and Frequency Selective Surfaces. Working experience with various RF test equipment and common test measurement systems for the extraction of electrical material properties is required. Working experience with multi-tensor material characterization / extraction is required. Design, analysis, and processing of data with industry standard software packages, along with a host of proprietary software tools are required. Applicants are responsible to monitor the quality of the materials produced, establishing test criteria to ensure that the end products meet specifications. Regular communication with cross-functional teams, management, and customers is expected to be successful.
Although not a requirement for this position, experience in the design of conformal antenna and radomes for Low Observables (LO) applications are beneficial, including high temperature applications.
- Ability to obtain Secret Clearance or actively possessing a clearance (Requires US Citizenship)
- Electrical / RF Engineering background, specializing in design and characterization of electromagnetic structures; 10 years with B.S., 5 years with M.S., or 2 years PhD
- Solid background in electromagnetics and material electrical properties
- Working experience with RF test equipment such as Network Analyzers, SCI-2K, SCI-IS-HH2, Transmission Tunnel, Std Waveguides, Reflection Arch, and Resonant Cavities
- Ability to develop product designs independently and cooperatively in a team setting, and verify those designs through prototype fabrication and testing
- Proficient in MS Office suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Other Desired Capabilities:
- Experience writing software for data acquisition, instrument control, and data processing (e.g. Matlab)
- Working experience with commercial EM analysis tools (e.g. HFSS, FEKO, PMM, XPATCH, RAM2D)
- Ability to work across multiple projects and follow through to completion
- Experience fostering and leading in a culture of continuous improvement Project Leadership
Initial survey and phone interview(s) followed by on-site professional interview, including a presentation demonstrating stated capabilities. A background verification, including references supporting relevant work experience will be required.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
For more information:
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years