Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Staff Systems Engineer
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Orbital ATK is currently looking for a Chief Engineer to work in our Iuka, MS location.
Technical leadership for the manufacturing of launch vehicle composite structures. Work closely with program office, manufacturing engineering, quality engineering and manufacturing personnel to solve production issues in hand layup, automated fiber placement, secondary bonding, autoclave cure, machining, NDI and final inspection processes. Act as a technical liaison with the customer for design and specification changes. Support and lead proposals. Work in a cross functional team to develop and implement process improvements.
Education and Experience
Requires BS in Engineering and 15+ years of applicable experience. Preference given to candidates with experience in aerospace manufacturing environment. Position may be filled at a lower level.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Experience in working with complex aerospace specifications and requirements
- Proficient in leading technical interchange/communications with external customers, both in the design and manufacturing environments
- High competence in presenting technical analysis and manufacturing capability in customer design reviews
- Ability to lead discussion and ensue collaboration in a complex cross-functional team: designers, quality and production teams
- Strong change control disciplines
- Experience using CAD software, as a design tool and as method of a communicating complex component and assembly designs and processes
- Experience working with Value Analysis/Value Engineering (VA/VE) and Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFM/A)
- Working knowledge of manufacturing processing capability (eliminating sources of variation, statistical analysis, SPC, etc.)
- Strong problem solving skills; Functional knowledge in root cause / corrective action processes and techniques (8D, Kepner Tregoe, etc.)
- Functional knowledge in Design and Process Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (D/PFMEA)
- Composites knowledge. Hand layup, fiber/tape placement, bonding, cure, machining, and NDI experience required.
- Experience estimating, planning, and streamlining manufacturing processes
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent leadership, team building, and mentoring skills
- Excellent computer skills. Skilled in Microsoft Office applications and data base systems
- Functional knowledge of production control systems (SAP, Visual Mfg., Cost Point, etc.)
Competencies for Success:
- Leadership skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Strong attention to detail
- Initiative, self-starter, adaptable, and high motivation for excellence
- High energy, results oriented, self-motivated / self-reliant, team player
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interface with an organization at all levels
- Coordinate technical assignments for project engineers
- Assist in the management of technical aspects of multi-disciplined programs
- Project planning and organization
- Budget accountability
- Schedule adherence accountability
- Proposal preparation accountability
- Configuration Control Board
- Project technical approach and owner of technical issues
- Technical lead on the Material Review Board (MRB)
- Coordinate and distribute work assignments for assigned projects
- Generate, analyze and guide estimates from a technical aspect, in support of company goals
- Review product designs for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements and related specifications
- Manage the risk management and trade study processes for a project (identifies potential risks and develops mitigation strategies and implements mitigation strategies in with Program Management)
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products ? and your ideas ? into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you?ll be amazed at what you can do!We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years