Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr Mechanical Engineer
With projected annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, approximately 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK Space Systems Group designs, manufactures and operates small and medium-class spacecraft for communications, imaging, scientific, exploration and national security space applications. The Group is leading supplier of space components that power and enable satellites of all classes, provides technical engineering services to government agencies and laboratories, and is developing exciting new satellite servicing and advanced space flight technologies.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Our San Diego, CA location is seeking a Sr Mechanical Engineer for the Design Engineer team.
Candidates for the Principal Mechanical Engineering position will have a variety of experience levels with a common theme of having a balance of technical knowledge and practical skills and experience.
Specific Responsibilities will include:
- Contribute to the design of jigs and fixtures used for assembly of spacecraft structures and subcomponents.
- Utilize computer-aided design tools to develop design concepts, preliminary layouts, sketches and notes necessary to present design to internal and external customers.
- Document engineering concepts in drawing format using GD&T per ANSI Y14.5.
- Support manufacturing technology development of advanced materials using a variety of tooling and manufacturing methods.
- Check completed layouts and drawings for clarity, completeness, conformity to standards, procedures, specifications, and accuracy of calculations and dimensioning.
- Develop technical solutions to complex problems which require regular use of ingenuity and creativity. Apply current technology and/or aid in development of new technologies
No relocation is offered for this position.
U.S. Citizen capable of qualifying for a security clearance
- Knowledge of composite material properties in aircraft or aerospace applications
- Experience with the design of large, complex tools, jigs, and fixtures
- Strong communication skills
- Experience with tooling design to support manufacture of fiber reinforced composite hardware
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Training in LEAN or Six Sigma methods and evidence of application is required
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline
- 3 years experience solid modeling experience with I-Deas, Unigraphics, Pro-Engineer, or CATIA
- 5 years of relevant industry experience (or Master’s degree)
- Hardware and tool design experience applying knowledge of advanced fiber reinforced composite materials
- Experience working within a team of engineers and technicians in a manufacturing environment operating to ISO quality standards
- Demonstrated analytical approach to problem solving
- Prior experience in an Aerospace or Space hardware manufacturing environment preferred.
NOTE: Position may be filled at one level lower with BS in Mechanical Engineering and 4 years of relevant industry experience or a Master’s degree & 2 years or equivalent combination of education & experience
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years