Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Principal Mechanical Engineer - Analysis
With projected annual revenues in of nearly$4.5 billion, approximately 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK Space Systems Group designs, manufactures and operates small and medium-class spacecraft for communications, imaging, scientific, exploration and national security space applications. The Group is leading supplier of space components that power and enable satellites of all classes, provides technical engineering services to government agencies and laboratories, and is developing exciting new satellite servicing and advanced space flight technologies.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
As part of the Composites Analysis Team the engineer will be responsible to:
- Develop structural concepts and perform preliminary sizing using classical mechanics calculations and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to meet stiffness, strength and other critical requirements.
- Support development of flight hardware from preliminary through detailed design, drawing release, manufacturing, integration, verification testing, and transportation.
- Provide structural engineering and analysis support to the IPT (Integrated Product Team) to ensure that the design meets all applicable requirements coordinating schedule, budget and deliverables with the IPT lead.
- Generate Finite Element Models and perform FEA for normal modes, linear static stress, elastic stability, and distortion, as well as nonlinear assessments to predict and improve structural response as needed.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience with Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering required. Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering preferred. Minimum of 7 years of experience with a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering required.
- Experience with performing classical mechanics and mechanical engineering analyses.
- Experience with Analyses of Composite Materials Structures.
CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: Ability to acquire a Security Clearance is required, which requires US Citizenship as a pre-requisite.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the Spacecraft industry performing Composites Structural Analysis Engineering.
- Experience with NASTRAN FEA Software and MSC PATRAN.
- Strong analysis background in the design of aerospace structural systems, materials, load paths and behavior of structures under all applicable environments.
- Design and analysis experience with space flight hardware including spacecraft bus and instruments structures, deployables, mechanisms, components and thermal control systems, optical benches as well as mechanical ground support equipment required.
- Experience with aerospace structural construction using metals, sandwich panels, composite materials, plastics and bonded joints.
- Documentation of structural analysis activities to generate reports, technical memos and presentation packages.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are a must. Must be comfortable interacting with a wide variety of people at various levels.
Orbital ATK has the people, strategy, agility, and products to thrive in a highly dynamic national security and space environment. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
** This position may be filled at 1 lower level.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years