Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr Mechanical Engineer - Analysis
Orbital ATK, San Diego is currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our Analysis team.
Highly motivated structural analysis engineer for composite structures and assemblies with the following responsibilities:
- Assess the structural integrity of metallic and composite structures using traditional closed form solutions, as well as finite element analysis (FEA)
- Interact with design and development teams (teams include specialists in Design, Quality, Materials, Manufacturing) to create and verify creative design solutions that meet all requirements (technical, cost, schedule)
- Generate Finite Element Models and perform FEA for normal modes, linear static stress, dynamic response/stress, thermo-elastic distortion, and hygroscopic distortion
- Support development of flight hardware from preliminary through detailed design, drawing release, manufacturing, integration, verification testing, and transportation
- Plan and oversee material characterization tests of various materials used in the design of composite structures
- Reduce material characterization test data into analysis input properties and material capability properties
- Prepare and make presentations summarizing structural assessment results for internal review boards and external customer design reviews
- Assist in assessment and disposition of discrepant hardware and hardware anomalies
- Must be a self-starter and possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement with a focus on customer service excellence
- Excellent oral and written communication, computer, documentation, and presentation skills are required
- Ability to make sound decisions
- Detail Oriented
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- BS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and 4 years’ related experience
- or MS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and 2 years’ related experience
- Research/coursework in finite element theory, composite laminate theory, and dynamics a plus
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- MS in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering
- 2+ years’ experience in aerospace manufacturing facility
- Knowledge of Femap, NX Nastran, Altair Hyperworks, NX, and Matlab
- Experience with aerospace structural construction using metals, sandwich panels, composite materials, plastics and bonded joints
- Ability to receive a security clearance
Must be a US citizen and have the ability to work on ITAR controlled products.
*Position may be filled at one level lower to include candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and 2 year’s related experience or a Master’s degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and 0-2 years’ related experience.
Orbital ATK has the people, strategy, agility, and products to thrive in a highly dynamic national security and space environment. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years