Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Principal Manufacturing Engineer
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Orbital ATK is currently looking for a Principal Manufacturing Engineer to work in our San Diego, CA location.
Support development and manufacturing in low and mid-rate composite part production facility. Work closely with manufacturing personnel to solve production issues in hand layup, secondary bonding, autoclave cure, NDI and final inspection processes. Learn and understand requirements to determine product impacts and recommend disposition of the parts. Work in a cross functional team to develop and implement process improvements. Represent the organization as a technical contact or lead on projects.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and 10 years of experience or Master’s degree in Engineering and 7 years of experience
- Preferred Candidates will have a Current and Active DoD Clearance with an investigation date within the last four years.
- Composite experience required. Hand layup, bonding, Machining and elevated cure experience preferred.
- Ability to work day shift (9-80 work schedules).
- Minimal Travel required (less than 25%)
- Good organizational skills and ability to work with minimal direction in a changing environment.
- Excellent computer skills. Skilled in working with Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Role may filled at a lower level with a BS in Manufacturing Engineering
- Knowledge and application of continuous improvement philosophy and tools
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of root cause / corrective action processes and techniques
- Functional knowledge of Process Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (PFMEA)
- Functional knowledge of production control systems (SAP/Visual Manufacturing/etc)
- Experience authoring, modifying and auditing procedures.
- Experience estimating, planning, and streamlining manufacturing processes
- Experience in working with aerospace specifications and requirements preferred
- Understanding of Catia V5
- Experience using SPC to monitor and improve processes
- Skilled at developing program bill of materials (BOM).
Competencies for Success:
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Strong attention to detail
- Initiative, self-starter, adaptable, and high motivation for excellence
- High energy, results oriented, self-motivated / self-reliant, team player
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interface with an organization at all levels
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment
- Prefer CAD experience (NX-10/Team-center or other CAD experience).
- Prefer knowledge and application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products ? and your ideas ? into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you?ll be amazed at what you can do!We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years