Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Princ Mechanical Engineer - Design & LabView
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
The position is available at the Orbital ATK facility in Goleta CA, part of the Orbital ATK Space Component Division, which specializes in deployable systems for spacecraft such as solar arrays, instrument booms, and various extendible support structures.
As a Structures and Mechanisms Engineer at Orbital ATK – Goleta you will be responsible for creating and implementing deployable structures and mechanical actuators at the cutting edge of space technology. You will have ownership of your work from the concept creation through the design and analysis phases and may also participate in the manufacturing, testing, and integration of the systems.
- Create, prototype, design, and analyze structures and mechanisms for moving mechanical assemblies such as solar arrays, booms, and other support structures and mechanisms for satellite subsystems.
- Develop and refine components and subsystems utilizing design skills, hand calculations, and finite element analysis or other modeling tools as needed.
- Perform detailed 3D designs; generate CAD drawings and related documents, and support manufacturing and assembly of components.
- Document test plans and procedures requirements.
- Participate and present in internal and external (customer) design reviews.
- Strive for the highest possible structural performance that is also cost effective and assures complete reliability.
- Manage and track multiple priorities while maintaining a focus towards common project goals of the program team, matrix organization, and customers.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Mechanical, Astronautical, or Aerospace)
- 5-8 years of applicable experience in mechanical design and closed-form analysis
- Extensive experience with LabView required
- Strong communication skills, oral and written.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to multitask and organize/prioritize job assignments in a fast-paced and gated-release engineering development environment.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Master's Degree in applicable area.
- 7 or more years of direct Mechanical Engineering experience, preferably in the spacecraft or aerospace industry, with significant project ownership.
- Candidate has detailed mechanical design knowledge of structures, mechanisms, release and drive actuators, and material selection.
- Proficiency with mechanical computer aided design (CAD) software, preferably design and analysis experience with PTC Creo Parametric 2/3.
- Experience with FEA analysis, preferably ANSYS or NASTRAN, for structural analysis of designs.
- Spacecraft/aerospace materials experience for metals, adhesives, thermoplastics, etc.
- Working knowledge of applicable manufacturing processes such as machining, finishing, and rapid prototyping.
- Demonstrable problem solving skills with hands-on project experience.
- Must be self-motivated with excellent technical communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in an integrated team and adapt to change and dynamic requirements.
- Strong communication and analytical skills and discipline with the ability to organize and prioritize job assignments and tasks.
- Practical understanding of GD&T (ASME Y14.5-2009)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint…).
Applicant must have ability to obtain a government security clearance. U.S. citizenship is a prerequisite for this.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products ? and your ideas ? into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do! We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years