Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Manufacturing Engineering Leader
With projected annual revenues of nearly $4.5 billion, approximately 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
The Orbital ATK Space Systems Group is one of the world’s preeminent satellite builders and advanced space systems providers, offering a broad portfolio of products for commercial, military, scientific and international customers. The group designs, manufactures and operates small- to medium-class satellites for communications, imaging, science and national security space applications.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
The position is available at the Orbital ATK facility in Goleta CA, part of the Orbital ATK Space Component Division, which specializes in deployable systems for spacecraft such as solar arrays, instrument booms, and various extendible support structures.
As a key member of the Orbital ATK-Goleta leadership team, the Manufacturing Engineering Leader is responsible for supporting a team of Manufacturing Engineers executing production of aerospace products and develops and implements standard processes and practices aimed at producing high quality, reliable products across all products lines. Additionally, the Manufacturing Engineering support the value stream organization (VSO) and its objectives. Successful candidate must have experience in a professional manufacturing environment, preferably with aerospace products. Candidate shall possess skill and experienced necessary to create, implement, improve and maintain manufacturing management processes via communication, lean strategies and tactics to satisfy customer and business needs. Through collaboration with Value Stream Owner, leads, and other functional managers, the Manufacturing Engineering Supervisor is responsible for resource management and prioritization to provide prompt response and situational resolutions to meet all VSO goals and objectives. The Manufacturing Engineering Supervisor must have a combination of industry knowledge, leadership skills, management expertise and in-depth knowledge of aerospace manufacturing processes.
- Accountable to Value Stream Owner to meet the safety, quality, delivery and cost expectations of internal and external customers within entire product value streams. Ensures plans are developed and executed to meet internal and external customer requirements.
- Ownership of product manufacturing engineering; ensures proper planning, detailed work instructions, and parts are provided to manufacturing.
- Deploy manufacturing engineering resources to meet customer demands. Manage department priorities.
- Continuously improve Daily Management in collaboration with other stakeholders, process standards and risk management. Create, maintain and improve standards for manufacturing best practices and provide feedback to the design activity for product and process improvements and design for manufacturability.
- Ownership and accountability for effective hand-offs through all functional and process center areas.
- Collaborate and coordinate with Master Scheduling, Product Value Stream Managers and Business Support Functions (Program Managers, Finance, Contracts, HR, etc.), including proposal support, to achieve product and site goals via sharing of resources, tools, equipment, processes, etc.
- Provide leadership and plan, perform and track employee development and mentoring.
- Establish and maintain metrics that provide real-time visibility to measure, monitor, and control process performance, including key inputs, outputs, and early warning event triggers.
- Coordinates with procurement to meet material cost and schedule requirements on non-recurring engineering (NRE) and Production Programs.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Leadership experience, demonstrating an ability to lead, build and manage effective cross-functional teams. People Leadership skills, including: conflict management, prioritization, time management, delegation, influencing, and people risk management/mitigation
- Knowledge and experience to develop and execute process standards focused on manufacturing engineering systems and risk management identification and mitigation.
- Knowledge of mechanical design, structures, mechanisms, actuators, and material selection
- Create a culture of continuous improvement, teamwork, sharing, and disciplined root cause problem solving. Familiarity with use and application of LEAN / PES culture and tools
- Develop and execute continuous improvement initiatives/projects to improve SQDEC performance using a change management approach
- Manage budgets (overhead and direct labor yield management)
- Exposure to, comfort around and collaboration with senior leadership and external customers (presentations, interaction, support)
- Manage projects (capital, IRAD, CI) and teams, utilizing project management tools and best practices, to achieve business results.
- Expert / highly skilled at performing in-depth root cause corrective action (RCCA) investigations
- Engineering BS Degree required.
- Experience - minimum 5 years
- Proven track record of managing direct reports of various levels and disciplines
- Excellent communication skills – written, oral, listening
- ITAR Requirements: To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years