Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
With projected annual revenues of nearly $4.5 billion, approximately 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
The Orbital ATK Space Systems Group is one of the world’s preeminent satellite builders and advanced space systems providers, offering a broad portfolio of products for commercial, military, scientific and international customers. The group designs, manufactures and operates small- to medium-class satellites for communications, imaging, science and national security space applications.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
This position is available at the Orbital ATK facility in Goleta CA, part of the Orbital ATK Space Component Division, which specializes in deployable systems for spacecraft such as solar arrays, instrument booms, and various extendible support structures.
As a key strategic member of the Orbital ATK-Goleta leadership team, the Engineering Manager is responsible for the planning, standardizing, implementing and enhancing product design, analysis and test processes and methods that support the value stream organization (VSO) and its objectives. Must have experience with deployable systems for space applications. Must be able to create, implement, improve and maintain sound engineering processes using communication, lean strategies and tactics to satisfy customer and business needs. Through collaboration with Engineering product team leads and other functional managers, the Engineering Manager is responsible for resource management and prioritization to provide prompt response and situational resolutions to meet all VSO goals and objectives. The Engineering Manager must have a combination of industry knowledge, leadership skills, management expertise and in-depth knowledge of the design engineering process.
- Accountable to Value Stream Owner for meeting the Engineering safety, quality, delivery and cost expectations of internal and external customers within entire product value streams. Ensures plans are developed and executed to meet internal and external customer requirements.
- Deploy engineering resources to meet customer demands. Manage department priorities.
- Continuously improve Engineering Daily Management, process standards, tools and risk management. Create, maintain and improve standards for all engineering drawings, specifications and design for manufacturability.
- Ownership and accountability for effective hand-offs through all functional and process center areas.
- Collaborate and coordinate with Master Scheduling, Product Value Stream Managers and Business Support Functions (Program Managers, Finance, Contracts, HR, etc.), including proposal support, to achieve product and site goals via sharing of resources, tools, equipment, processes, etc.
- Provide Engineering leadership and owns employee development and mentoring.
- Lead the Design and Analysis Engineering departments on design for manufacturability, process capability, and production builds of new product or product revisions.
- Establish and maintain metrics that provide real-time visibility to measure, monitor, and control process performance, including key inputs, outputs, and early warning event triggers.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Proven ability to perform problem analysis and resolution using lean and continuous improvement tools.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple products/programs with the focus on delivering cost and schedule.
- Ability to direct multiple engineering disciplines to reach common goals and objectives.
- Ability to provide technical communication and coordination with senior leadership.
- Experience with budget and cost management.
- Create, improve and sustain engineering systems, standards, processes and business tools.
- Strong knowledge in engineering systems and processes such as CAD, FEA, and GD&T.
- Detailed knowledge of mechanical design, structures, mechanisms, release and drive actuators, and material selection.
- Engineering BS Degree required. Engineering MS degree preferred
- Experience - minimum 10 years with BS, 5 years with MS
- Proven track record of managing direct reports of various levels and disciplines
- Excellent communication skills – written, oral, listening
- ITAR Requirements: To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years