Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
This position is available at the Northrop Grumman facility in Goleta CA, which specializes in deployable systems for spacecraft such as solar arrays, instrument booms, and various extendible support structures.
As a key strategic member of the Northrop Grumman -Goleta leadership team, the Engineering Manager is responsible for the planning, standardizing, implementing and enhancing product design, analysis and test processes and methods that support the value stream organization (VSO) and its objectives. Must have experience with deployable systems for space applications. Must be able to create, implement, improve and maintain sound engineering processes using communication, lean strategies and tactics to satisfy customer and business needs. Through collaboration with Engineering product team leads and other functional managers, the Engineering Manager is responsible for resource management and prioritization to provide prompt response and situational resolutions to meet all VSO goals and objectives. The Engineering Manager must have a combination of industry knowledge, leadership skills, management expertise and in-depth knowledge of the design engineering process.
- Accountable to Value Stream Owner for meeting the Engineering safety, quality, delivery and cost expectations of internal and external customers within entire product value streams. Ensures plans are developed and executed to meet internal and external customer requirements.
- Deploy engineering resources to meet customer demands. Manage department priorities.
- Continuously improve Engineering Daily Management, process standards, tools and risk management. Create, maintain and improve standards for all engineering drawings, specifications and design for manufacturability.
- Ownership and accountability for effective hand-offs through all functional and process center areas.
- Collaborate and coordinate with Master Scheduling, Product Value Stream Managers and Business Support Functions (Program Managers, Finance, Contracts, HR, etc.), including proposal support, to achieve product and site goals via sharing of resources, tools, equipment, processes, etc.
- Provide Engineering leadership and owns employee development and mentoring.
- Lead the Design and Analysis Engineering departments on design for manufacturability, process capability, and production builds of new product or product revisions.
- Establish and maintain metrics that provide real-time visibility to measure, monitor, and control process performance, including key inputs, outputs, and early warning event triggers.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Proven ability to perform problem analysis and resolution using lean and continuous improvement tools.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple products/programs with the focus on delivering cost and schedule.
- Ability to direct multiple engineering disciplines to reach common goals and objectives.
- Ability to provide technical communication and coordination with senior leadership.
- Experience with budget and cost management.
- Create, improve and sustain engineering systems, standards, processes and business tools.
- Strong knowledge in engineering systems and processes such as CAD, FEA, and GD&T.
- Detailed knowledge of mechanical design, structures, mechanisms, release and drive actuators, and material selection.
- Engineering BS Degree required. Engineering MS degree preferred
- Experience - minimum 10 years with BS, 5 years with MS
- Proven track record of managing direct reports of various levels and disciplines
- Excellent communication skills – written, oral, listening
- ITAR Requirements: To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years