Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Safety Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is currently seeking a Sr. Safety Engineer for our Medium Caliber Guns Segment in Mesa, AZ.
Position Summary: Northrop Grumman has an opportunity for a Safety Engineer in its Medium Caliber Guns Segment, located in Mesa, AZ. This business area specializes in externally powered auto guns ranging from calibers of 7.62mm up to 50mm. The Safety Engineer will provide direct oversight and hold responsibility for safety program implementation across the segment, including engineering test activities, cannon production and test, the overall office environment, and off-site testing/demonstrations.
- Provide daily oversight and implementation of the Mesa Safety Program.
- Update local Safety Program for compliance to Division & Corporate Procedures.
- Ensure that all requirements for compliance to Safety regulations and laws are met.
- Ensure that adequate risk identification and mitigation efforts are conducted.
- Lead a safety culture, awareness and training effort, with significant focus on an established behavior based safety concepts.
- Serve as secretary of the local Plant Process Control Board (PPCB).
- Use safety data to organize value-added safety analysis.
- Drive safety and environmental capital improvement projects.
- Ensure that customer and DCMA expectations and requirements are successfully addressed.
- Ensure that application of HOPS and energetic specific regulations are strictly enforced.
- Successfully integrate and work as a strategic partner to the local functional managers.
- Participate in safety reviews and implementation at off-site testing/demonstrations.
- BS in Engineering (Required)
- 5 or more years directly related experience
- Skilled at assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Skilled at establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with other employees: team members, hazardous operations personnel, business leadership, support groups, etc.
- Must be comfortable working closely with all levels of organization and business management.
- Practical application of safety and environmental standards and regulations.
- Communication skills to transfer knowledge to various audiences, selling concepts and presenting well.
- Knowledge of and experience in implementation of ISO 14001 Environment Systems standard.
- Strong coordination and organizational abilities
- Travel availability: <10%
- Firing/Test Range Experience, direct safety related experience a positive.
- Fire Arms/Armament production experience
- Continuous improvement and lean principles experience
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years