Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr. Safety Engineer
Orbital ATK is currently seeking a Sr. Safety Engineer for our Medium Caliber Guns Segment in Mesa, AZ.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Position Summary: Orbital ATK has an opportunity for a Safety Engineer in its Medium Caliber Guns Segment, located in Mesa, AZ. This business area specializes in externally powered auto guns ranging from calibers of 7.62mm up to 50mm. The Safety Engineer will provide direct oversight and hold responsibility for safety program implementation across the segment, including engineering test activities, cannon production and test, the overall office environment, and off-site testing/demonstrations.
- Provide daily oversight and implementation of the Mesa Safety Program.
- Update local Safety Program for compliance to Division & Corporate Procedures.
- Ensure that all requirements for compliance to Safety regulations and laws are met.
- Ensure that adequate risk identification and mitigation efforts are conducted.
- Lead a safety culture, awareness and training effort, with significant focus on an established behavior based safety concepts.
- Serve as secretary of the local Plant Process Control Board (PPCB).
- Use safety data to organize value-added safety analysis.
- Drive safety and environmental capital improvement projects.
- Ensure that customer and DCMA expectations and requirements are successfully addressed.
- Ensure that application of HOPS and energetic specific regulations are strictly enforced.
- Successfully integrate and work as a strategic partner to the local functional managers.
- Participate in safety reviews and implementation at off-site testing/demonstrations.
- BS in Engineering (Required)
- 5 or more years directly related experience
- Skilled at assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Skilled at establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with other employees: team members, hazardous operations personnel, business leadership, support groups, etc.
- Must be comfortable working closely with all levels of organization and business management.
- Practical application of safety and environmental standards and regulations.
- Communication skills to transfer knowledge to various audiences, selling concepts and presenting well.
- Knowledge of and experience in implementation of ISO 14001 Environment Systems standard.
- Strong coordination and organizational abilities
- Travel availability: <10%
- Firing/Test Range Experience, direct safety related experience a positive.
- Fire Arms/Armament production experience
- Continuous improvement and lean principles experience
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years