Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Research Engineering Manager
With projected annual revenues of nearly $4.5 billion, approximately 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK’s Advanced Signals & Cyber (ASC) team provides signal processing solutions from research through prototyping for national security with solutions spanning the space, airborne, terrestrial, and maritime domains. The ASC core Research & Engineering (R&E) disciplines are RF Mission Systems, Wireless Signals and Protocols, High Performance Computing, Software Development, Software Defined Radio, Communications Theory, Firmware Development, and RF Analysis. We are a small team split amongst researchers, firmware engineers, software developers, and project managers working on diverse projects in a specialized lab and computing facility located adjacent to the beautiful Monterey Bay at the south end of the San Jose valley.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
Orbital ATK seeks a lead researcher / engineering manager to lead its Communications Research and Engineering function within ASC. The Communications R&E function is responsible for the applied research, development and prototyping of cutting edge signal processing capabilities. Typical engineering responsibilities include communications and digital signal processing research, guiding transition of designs for firmware development on FPGA platforms, software development on GPP and ARM platforms, and basic prototyping of solutions. The role encompasses functional management and technical program execution as follows:
Lead functional management for the ASC Communications R&E function including:
- Manage, supervise, and develop the ASC engineering team to achieve continued applied research solutions
- Work with project and program area managers to provide leadership, tasking assignments, staffing, and direction to the team; manage resources to support program schedules, priorities, and customers
- Manage the ASC engineering personnel to include hiring, employee development, program oversight, and performance management
- Coordinate with other Orbital ATK R&E organizations for successful task and program execution
- Support business development including technical support to customer meetings, participation in Business Strategy Team (BST) team meetings, and capture management for selected pursuits
Serve as ASC’s overall technical lead for communications and signal processing engineering including:
- Lead the analysis, modeling, and specification of system and unit level requirements and interfaces pertaining to ASC programs
- Apply technical expertise and background in support of communications and signal processing research for ASC programs
- Mentor junior engineers in research and engineering concepts
- Conduct technical assessments and trade studies in support of ASC program managers
- Develop specifications for software, firmware and hardware communications systems
- MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
- Minimum of 10 years directly relevant technical and lead role experience
- Engineering experience in communications, digital signal processing, FPGA and/or Cyber areas
- Development engineering experience using Matlab, C/C++, and/or VHDL
- Ability to efficiently develop professional presentations and reports using MS Office products
- Engineering functional management experience
- Exceptional communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Active TS/SCI SSBI
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or related field
- Experience with wireless protocols including CDMA, UMTS, 4G LTE and/or WiFi
- Experience in software defined radio, firmware development and/or real-time software
Competencies for Success
- Positive relationship and team builder
- Superior communicator & analytical problem solver
- Technical depth to support effective execution from research through mission systems deployment
Orbital ATK has the people, strategy, agility, and products to thrive in the highly dynamic national security and communications environments. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years