Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Lab Manager - Defense Manufacturing
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK’s Missile Products Division has an exciting opportunity for a Laboratory Manager located at the Allegany Ballistics Laboratory near Cumberland, MD. This position will report directly to the Energetic Technologies and Laboratories Senior Manager, will support manufacturing and timely delivery of analytical results to internal and external customers.
- This position will be responsible for the scientific leadership and management of the laboratory
- Manage laboratory resources to ensure the appropriate level of support and prioritization for activities and timely delivery of results
- Serve as the technical expert and assist laboratory staff with troubleshooting
- Mentor and develop laboratory chemists and technicians
- Manages personnel and financial resources effectively
- Oversight of staffing and laboratory assignments
- Ensure that laboratory equipment and systems are maintained in accordance with procedures and standards
- Compile and interpret results of tests and analyses. Monitor test results to ensure compliance to applicable standards and specifications
- Ensures that laboratory results withstand peer and industry review
- Statistical based analysis of physical and chemical technical data
- Perform duties within industry specific regulations regarding safety, product and material requirements and plant operations
- Takes personal responsibility for assuring quality, cost effectiveness and timely completion of projects
- Continuously improve technical and business acumen to ultimately serve as a subject matter expert
- Monitor departmental activities to ensure that laboratory personnel follow all company guidelines related to Health, Safety and Environmental practices
- Bachelors of Science in Chemistry or related scientific discipline, a Master’s or PhD in Chemistry is preferred
- 5 years minimum work experience in a chemistry laboratory
- Method development expertise for quantitative analysis which includes numerous instrumental and wet methods:
- Must have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Ability and willingness to work outside of standard work hours when needed to resolve issues
- High ethical standards of work and personal conduct
- Ability to understand and interpret physical and chemical properties data
- Understanding of statistics related to Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Proficiency in MS office tools and web-based organizational filing
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Able to obtain a Secret Clearance which requires US Citizenship as a prerequisite
- Strong organizational skills
- Possess good interpersonal skills
- Have demonstrated capability for independent work and creativity
- Clear written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with a cross functional team
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products ? and your ideas ? into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you?ll be amazed at what you can do!We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years