Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Principal Contracts Specialist
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced Principal Contracts Specialist to provide leadership to our Missile Products Division in our Plymouth, MN facility.
Act as primary interface with customer for contractual issues. Review contractual terms and conditions to ensure protection of company interests. Lead team in negotiating new contracts and in identifying and negotiating contract changes. Release internal authorization to proceed, funding and other contractual direction received from customer. Monitor contract and associated program to ensure that contractual obligations are communicated and understood. Ensure compliance with company procedure and government regulation.
- Foster positive customer relationships and leverage to provide critical strategic intelligence to program team to expand business and influence customer requirements, program/contract terms and contract structure.
- Integrate with the discretionary funding planning process to ensure compliance with IR&D regulations.
- Ensure Orbital ATK Intellectual Property is properly identified, protected and/or licensed.
- Integrate with Business Strategy Teams (BSTs) to optimize contract structure and business terms, and coordinate strategic agreements, when appropriate (e.g., partnering and teaming agreements)
Contract Structure and Business Terms:
- Develop a clear understanding of customer and program requirements that harmonize with Orbital ATK business strategy to ensure contract structure and business terms are aligned with both.
- Review terms and conditions to address provisions and risks of financial terms, acceptance criteria, delivery requirements, warranty, intellectual property, termination provisions, indemnification and all other potential risk areas and recommend risk mitigation strategies.
- Recommend changes, additions, and deletions to the contract structure to ensure accurate reflection of customer requirements and alignment with Orbital ATK’s program strategy and risk mitigation.
- Negotiate profit and provide profit justification to the customer, ensuring that the profit/fee is consistent with and appropriate for the contract type, identified program risks, market standards, internal investment requirements, and working capital considerations.
- Identify business risks associated with contract in partnership with mission assurance.
- Ensure flow down of required terms and conditions to subcontractors and that subcontractor terms and conditions are appropriate for the work being performed in relation to the prime contract.
- Lead the development of a comprehensive negotiation strategy/plan working in conjunction with Program Team.
- When applicable, lead Integrated Product Teams (IPT’s) in preparation for negotiations.
- Define negotiation parameters through delegation process (including goals/limits).
- Negotiate appropriate contract type, scope, price, profit and terms.
- Execute cost or pricing data certificate where required.
- Lead delegation process, ensuring assembling delegation package and proper sign-offs.
- Establish equitable payment terms, facilitate timely payments through coordinated oversight with Finance of invoicing process, and ensure customer compliance with payment terms.
- Ensure that the contract and statement of work are consistent with pricing assumptions to effectively manage financial risk related to contract terms and conditions, and that the underlying cost estimate is consistent with and appropriately addresses performance risk.
- Implement the change management process and coordinate with Program Management to ensure compliance.
- Monitor contract cost performance in concert with Program Business Management and Finance.
- Verify with Program Manager that all technical requirements have been properly reviewed and a clear technical baseline is included in contract documents.
- Ensure that a verified schedule baseline is included in contract documents.
- Following contract award communicate (together with the PM) contract, program schedule and SOW requirements to program team.
- Ensure compliance with program schedule as outlined in contract.
- Bachelor Degree; J.D./MBA preferred
- 7 years minimum experience in contract management, direct Department of Defense contracting experience preferred
- Experience managing government contracts both at the prime and subcontract levels
- Proven experience in negotiating complex proposals
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of EAC process, cash flow, and strategic planning process
- Knowledge of change management process
- Extensive knowledge of Federal Acquisition Regulations and ITAR requirements
- Proven leadership qualities; ability to start, oversee, and follow-through with major assignments and responsibilities
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment
- Must be US citizen with ability to obtain a secret clearance
- Active Secret Clearance
- Knowledge of Sarbanes Oxley
- Experience working with BAA's, RFQ's, and complex engineering and manufacturing proposals
- Government contracting experience
- Experience in Deltek Cost Point
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years