Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr. Mechanical Engineer (Warhead Designer)
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Our Missile Products Division in Plymouth, MN has an excellent opportunity for a Warhead Designer whose duties and required experience are described below. This is a highly technical position that requires previous warhead design experience, including experience with running advanced hydrocode modeling & simulation software and a strong mechanical background.
As a Warhead Designer in the Fuzing and Warheads Development Group, your responsibilities will be as a technical contributor on various warhead product development programs and pursuits. You will work with engineers in a variety of disciplines, program managers and administrative personnel to accomplish your objectives. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Conduct design trade studies to select the best possible design solution, taking into account factors including, but not limited to, system performance and functionality, strength, weight, manufacturability and cost.
• Modeling and simulation, using advanced high strain rate Lagrangian and Eulerian computer hydrocodes, on a high performance computing system.
• Three dimensional mechanical modeling (CAD - computer aided design).
• Computer coding and script writing for data reduction and analysis.
• Integrated Product Team (IPT) member for warhead development programs, completing assigned responsibilities with the support of other engineers, technicians, and administrative personnel to accomplish program goals.
• Presentation of warhead designs at program technical reviews.
• Work with Business Development and Program Management to present warhead designs and warhead design capabilities to customers.
• Management of cost and schedule for assigned responsibilities.
• Preparation and planning of cost estimates and written technical proposals.
• Responsible for the design, fabrication and testing of components and assemblies related to warheads.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, preferably Mechanical or Aerospace, with a strong background in computer modeling & simulation, or a degree in Computer Science with a strong mechanical background.
• Five or more years of related design experience.
• Possess a working knowledge of advanced high strain rate Lagrangian and Eulerian computer hydrocodes such as CTH, ALE-3D, EPIC or LS-Dyna.
• Possess a working knowledge with the Unix (Linux) operating system.
• Possess a working knowledge with computer programs such as C++, Fortran, or Python.
• Possess a working knowledge with computer aided design (CAD) software, preferably PTC CREO (Pro-E) or Autocad.
• Possess an understanding of finite element analysis codes such as ANSYS or ABAQUS for structural analysis of designs.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
• Ability to multitask and organize/prioritize job assignments in a rapidly changing, short turn-around environment.
• Strong communication skills, oral and written.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Project).
• Ability to travel (approximately 5 to 10 times per year to meet with customers and suppliers)
• Security regulations require that the individual must be solely a U.S. citizen (dual citizenship is not allowed) and must have the ability to obtain a DoD security clearance to a level of SECRET.
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years