Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
Orbital ATK is seeking a Sr. Mechanical Engineer for our location in Plymouth, MN.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
As a Mechanical Design Engineer in the Fuzing and Warheads Development Group, your responsibilities will be as a technical contributor / team member / team leader on various product development or production programs. You will work with other engineers, technicians, program managers and administrative personnel to accomplish your objectives. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design engineer on ordnance programs, managing assigned responsibilities and directing the work of other engineers, technicians, drafting personnel, and administrative personnel to accomplish program goals.
- Conduct design trade studies to select the best possible design solution, taking into account factors including, but not limited to, system performance and functionality, material selection, strength, weight, manufacturability and cost.
- Responsible for the design, fabrication and testing of components and assemblies in high shock environments related to fuzes and warheads.
- Three dimensional mechanical modeling (CAD - computer aided design).
- Presentation of assigned work at program technical reviews and in written technical reports.
- Management of cost and schedule for assigned projects.
- Preparation and planning of cost estimates and written technical proposals.
- Compilation and analysis of test data including a comparison to estimated pretest performance predictions. The high volume of data involved often requires analysis with various computer programs. Experience with computer coding programs is highly desired.
- Act as design support to programs that are in the production phase (on one or more programs).
- BS in Engineering is required, preferably Mechanical or Aerospace.
- Desired to have three or more years of related mechanical design experience.
- Strong computer aided design (CAD) skills, preferably with PTC Creo (Pro-E) or SOLIDWORKS.
- Strong mechanical skills and exposure to ANSI Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
- Possess an understanding of finite element analysis codes such as ANSYS or ABAQUS for structural analysis and thermal analysis of designs.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes is desired to include machining, 3D printing, and injection molding.
- Possess an understanding of computer programs such as Python, C++ or Fortran.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment. It is highly desirable to have prior team leadership experience.
- Ability to multitask and organize/prioritize job assignments in a rapidly changing, short turn-around environment.
- Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Project).
- Ability to travel (approximately 5 to 8 times per year to meet with customers and suppliers).
- Security regulations require that the individual must be a U.S. citizen and must have the ability to obtain a DoD security clearance to a level of SECRET.
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years