Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr. Manufacturing Engineer
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Manufacturing Engineer to provide leadership to our Defense team in our Plymouth, MN offices.
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Headquartered in Plymouth, Minnesota, Orbital ATK Armament Systems is a leading innovator and producer of advanced weapons that provide the warfighter superior battlefield capabilities. The division specializes in creating low-cost, highly reliable and precise munitions for artillery and mortar systems and is a world leader in developing and producing tactical and training ammunition for medium and large caliber weapon platforms.
This position provides manufacturing engineering support for fabrication of medium caliber ammunition. In general, as a member of an integrated product team, you will be providing engineering support and work direction to distributed manufacturing and test locations, investigating and solving manufacturing issues, developing and documenting manufacturing processes, coordinating efforts between internal functional groups, supporting manufacturing and ammunition testing, supporting communications with our customers, and providing support and oversight to material suppliers.
Typical Duties (Including but not limited to)
- Provide work direction and engineering support to our distributed manufacturing and test locations
- Assist in the resolution of complex manufacturing line process issues such as machining, metal finishing, painting, heat treating, general mechanical assembly, and test
- Research and evaluate commercially available tools and equipment to support manufacturing activities. Design and procure specialized tooling and fixtures.
- Develop new, and improve existing, manufacturing processes
- Develop task releases, get them approved and introduced into the manufacturing system
- Prepare and support Build Readiness Reviews and Production Readiness Reviews
- Create test requests and support test readiness reviews
- Coordinate manufacturing efforts between internal functional disciplines including Engineering, Supply Chain, Quality, Manufacturing and Test.
- Work with the program team on design and manufacturability issues including root cause analysis and corrective actions on processes and products for both internal and external sources
- As the responsible agent for the product Technical Data package, work with Design Engineering in preparation for the release of Engineering Changes, (concept through final release).
- Provide Engineering disposition on tooling and gage changes from internal and external sources
- Provide Engineering disposition on non-conforming product from internal and external sources
- Provide Engineering approval on proposed process changes from internal and external sources
- Create, publish, review and maintain all necessary documentation required for new and existing manufacturing programs.
- Manufacturing work instructions
- Manufacturing bills of material and build lists
- TDP reviews for correctness and completeness
- Ensure appropriate documentation is in Configuration Management system
- Monitor In-Process Testing and Lot Acceptance Testing for compliance to performance specification requirements.
- Assist in the preparation of engineering and program proposals
- Participate in customer meetings and program reviews
- Travel – typical is about 10% but it could reach up to 25% on average over a one year period with reasonable flexibility around personal schedules. Mostly domestic but may eventually include some international trips.
Experience and Skills
- BS degree in Engineering discipline and minimum of 4 years or MS in Engineering discipline and 2 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated experience, relevant to the “Typical Duties” listed above, in manufacturing, production and testing of mechanical components and/or systems
- Technical understanding of mechanical mechanisms, manufacturing processes, metal coatings, heat treatments, metal fabrication or standard assembly processes
- Applies knowledge of engineering and scientific methods, theories and research techniques in the disciplined investigation and solution of technical problems.
- Familiarity and experience with energetic materials typically found in medium caliber ammunition would be helpful
- Familiarity and experience with the manufacture and test of medium caliber ammunition would be helpful
- Ability to read drawings with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing is desired
- The person filling this position must be able to work with a wide variety of multi-discipline people, in remote settings, interact with them frequently, building strong trusting relationships.
- Experience and proficiency in working with multiple projects.
- Self-motivated to start and complete quality work and ability to work as a team member
- Strong communication skills
- Computer skills in Microsoft Suite, including MS Project.
- Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products and your ideas into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do! We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: 25-50%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years