Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr. Engineering Technician
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Engineering Technician to provide support in our Clearfield, Utah location.
The Engineering Technician position will be working with Engineers on our Inspection System Team.
The potential candidate will support a variety of activities including:
- Work with engineers to manufacture and integrate the inspection system components including chassis, enclosures, racks, and cables
- Work with engineering to assemble and install the inspection system; Use drawings to wire the system and system components (chassis, enclosures, instrumentation racks, and electro-mechanical assemblies)
- Assist engineers in system power-up, check-out, alignment and commissioning
- Assist engineers with producing as-built electrical drawings of the system
- Troubleshoot inspection systems in production and repair them as required
- Assist engineers in ordering system components
- Work with engineers to plan and execute system upgrades
- Coordinate the work of subcontractors during the system installation as required
- Candidate must have a minimum of 4-6 years related experience working in fabrication, installation and troubleshooting complex multi-axis electro-mechanical systems, machine centers and robotic systems
- High School or GED required (education will be verified)
Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience in planning, fabrication, integration, installation, and testing of complex multi-axis electro-mechanical systems
- Ability to plan layout and install the electrical system components based on the system documentation
- Ability to fabricate system components (circuit boards, chassis, enclosures, instrumentation racks) using hand and power tools
- Ability to install chassis, enclosures and instrumentation racks per drawings
- Ability to wire power to the system following the appropriate electric codes, wire transformers, motors and pumps
- Ability to wire the system to print or using examples including point-to-point wiring, wire termination (multi conductor and coax, crimp and soldering contacts)
- Ability to test electrical system components or circuits in system electrical wiring, enclosures, chassis, using common testing devices such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, oscilloscopes
- Ability to inspect, troubleshoot and repair of complex electro-mechanical system components using the test equipment
- Excellent skills in using hand tools (wire strip and crimping tools, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.), power tools (hand drills, saws, conduit bending tools, etc.)
- Strong aptitude in soldering cables, circuit boards, coax and multi contact connectors (LEMO and W.W. Fischer)
- Ability to generate the hand sketches as needed to document work performed and changes made
- Ability to perform mechanical assembly work by reading drawings with little supervision.
- Ability to use mechanical measurement devices (calipers, micrometers, etc.)
- Basic shop skills such as using drill press and metal/plastics fabrication
- Ability to perform tasks given general guidelines and requirements with a limited amount of supervision
- Ability to travel to other company locations to support the system installation, troubleshooting and repair as required (10% or less)
- Ability to work overtime as required to support system integration, installation and maintenance
- Ability to plan, execute and track multiple tasks for multiple projects; good reporting skills
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to obtain TS/SCI level clearance is preferred
- Relevant college courses in electronics are preferred
- Experience in fabrication, installation, wiring and maintenance of automated ultrasonic inspection systems (AUIS) highly desired and is preferred
- 5 years’ experience as senior electrician (foreman, team lead) is preferred
- Experience with RF circuits and PCB is preferred
- State of Utah Journey Electrician License is desired
Competencies for Success:
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interface with an organization at all levels
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision after training is complete
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong problem solving ability
- Willingness to meet customer needs
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Initiative, self-starter, adaptable, and high motivation for excellence
- High energy, results oriented, self-motivated / self-reliant, team player
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment
- Must comply with company policies and procedures and be willing to work in a defined TEAM environment
Requisition may be filled at a lower level (Engineering Technician 05H) with a high school diploma or GED and a minimum of 2-4 years of related experience.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
To learn more about Orbital ATK
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years
Education: High School/GED